OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kamikaze 7.07

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Jun 2017. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The new Kamikaze 7.07 release is ready.

Changes since Kamikaze 7.06:
  - PPPoE support fixed
  - Failsafe on Broadcom fixed
  - Failsafe on Atheros AR2315+
  - Improved system boot time
  - New 2.6 kernel with stability fixes for Broadcom
  - Improved qos-scripts rate calculation
  - Improved wireless-tools compatibility on Broadcom with Linux 2.4
  - New version of MadWiFi with improved stability and performance
  - New platforms: AMCC, AVR32
  - WPA related bugfixes in the wifi scripts for Broadcom and Atheros
  - RouterBoard 500 NAND flash fixes.

Just in case you ask, we had to remove adm5120 for 7.07 because it did not meet our stability requirements for it to be part of the release. The main problem with 7.07 was that the PCI code could act in a weird way, such that Wi-Fi got killed or very unstable.

This means that you should use the latest adm5120 code that is in trunk/ and make all your bug report against those revisions. The reason is that quite a lot of the code changed, in order to :

- reliably detect the board (Compex, Infineon, Edimax, Microtik ...)
- have the proper amount of RAM memory to be registered
- register device specific hardware like NAND/NOR flash chips and USB host
- include NAPI polling to the ethernet driver
- use the AMBA (previously ARM specific) UART driver

We make our best to release adm5120 images for all boards we have tested/created images for within the next milestone.

Sorry for this removal, next release will be way more stable big_smile

nbd wrote:

The new Kamikaze 7.07 release is ready.

- New 2.6 kernel with stability fixes for Broadcom

Does this mean that 2.6-based Kamikaze is recommended for Broadcom-based routers, or should we still stick with the 2.4 kernel for now?

2.6 is recommended for devices that do not use broadcom wifi, except for bcm94710 or bcm94702

FYI:

cifsmount seems to be broken in 7.07!
However, it works in the available snapshot from July, 13th

Does this mean a Linksys WRTSL54GS would work with the 2.6 kernel?

florian_ wrote:

This means that you should use the latest adm5120 code that is in trunk/ and make all your bug report against those revisions. The reason is that quite a lot of the code changed, in order to :

Is Compex WP54 now supported on trunk, or it's still forked from the project?

Thanks

There will be a followup to 7.07 soon containing the updated adm5120 code

Thanks smile

nbd wrote:

2.6 is recommended for devices that do not use broadcom wifi, except for bcm94710 or bcm94702

So what routers can I use a 2.6 kernel. Does Wrt54G ver 2.0 have a bcm94710 0r bcm94702?

nbd wrote:

Is there support for broadcom wifi in the 2.6 kernel version planned in the future?

The 2.6 kernel uses the bcm43xx driver if i'm correct, and it's not fully stable yet. If i'm not mistaken the 2.4 kernel has a proprietary Broadcom module.

Borromini wrote:

The 2.6 kernel uses the bcm43xx driver if i'm correct, and it's not fully stable yet. If i'm not mistaken the 2.4 kernel has a proprietary Broadcom module.

You are right. I just need the 2.6 kernel for my PWC10+ project on my Broadcom wifi based router, so i wondered if this would be possible any time soon?

Friendly Suggestion: The items on the front page should have a date on them.

"The new Kamikaze 7.07 release is ready." - when was it "new"?
"Kamikaze 7.06" - how long ago was that?
"The Whiterussian branch has officially come to an end with the release of Whiterussian 0.9." - last month, or last year?

I hope you see what I mean - it's hard to stay current when you don't know how new anything is!

whbjr wrote:

Friendly Suggestion: The items on the front page should have a date on them.

"The new Kamikaze 7.07 release is ready." - when was it "new"?
"Kamikaze 7.06" - how long ago was that?
"The Whiterussian branch has officially come to an end with the release of Whiterussian 0.9." - last month, or last year?

I hope you see what I mean - it's hard to stay current when you don't know how new anything is!

Just click the "Comments" button on the bottom-right of the news, and see the top post's date.

Kamikaze 7.07: 2007-07-26 19:42:54
Kamikaze 7.06: 2007-06-02 03:26:23
Whiterussian 0.9: 2007-02-05 21:22:51

But it would in fact be handy if the date shows up on the front page too.

(Last edited by bitmaster on 21 Sep 2007, 14:42)

The discussion might have continued from here.