Hi all,

Just went through some pain getting this done as RC3 doesn't appear to like tftp, and thought I might list what I recall of the process for future use.

Characters
  My network: 192.168.0.x 
  polito: linux laptop, 192.168.0.23
  wrt54gs: openwrt White Russian RC3, 192.168.1.1

   1. download openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx file to polito from http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/0.9/default/
   2. alias eth0 on polito to see the wrt54 on the different network
          *> ipconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
   3. ssh into wrt54gs as root
   4. cd to /tmp
   5. scp .trx file to wrt54gs from polito.
          *> scp vacri@polito:openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx .
          * couldn't wget it from the web for some reason, even after ifconfiging the wrt54 to match my network
   6. flashed the firmware from within the wrt54, went off for a few minutes to leave it do it's thing.
          *> mtd -r write openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux
          * Apparently 6 min is enough to wait, if it hasn't rebooted, you can manually reboot it then
          * On reboot, pinging 192.168.1.1 works but can't ssh (since the root is disable)
   7. Telnet is open, though
          *> telnet 192.168.1.1
   8. Change the password
          *> passwd
          * Adding a root password here blocks telnet access, forcing ssh connection in future
   9.  reboot wrt54gs and test ssh password
-----
  10. configure the box to be visible on the main network (not done yet - thought I'd get this down first)
  11. unalias eth0:1 on polito with ifdown eth0:1

I may have missed a small spot or two, but the above is basically how I got the thing upgraded from RC3 when tftp/atftp wasn't working and I didn't want to use 'crack the case' methods. Just thought I'd jot it down...

(Last edited by vacri on 24 Sep 2007, 15:51)