I've been browsing these forums for a while now, since I'm very interested in running (an open) Linux on a Linksys wireless router. The low cost and power consumption of the hardware are especially appealing.

Unfortunately, the 8/32MB version of the WRT54GS is very hard to come by. I want to get a WRT54GL so I can be sure it supports OpenWRT or other open source distros. But since it's got only half the amount of RAM and ROM, I'd like to add an SD-card for extra storage.

I'm not looking for a NAS/leech solution, just a way of expanding the limited RAM and ROM of the GL so I can run "whatever" program I want without having to keep an eye on the disk space.

So far, I've read about people modding their Linksys to connect an SD card and having trouble partitioning / formatting / mounting it. I don't read about their actual use for it.
My question is this: will the added SD card allow me to install extra programs (mount it on /usr/local or something) and use part of it as swap partition / file?