OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Custom Firmware Help

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello all,

I am looking to customise the firmware on my DG384Gv2 router - Only 1 small customisation required in that I want to replace the block.htm file with my own file.

I as it stands have no experience with Linux nor do I curently have access to a Linux box to be able to attempt the build of the custom firmware myself? Would anyone on this forum be willing to create the custom firmware for me if I were to provide them with my custom block.htm file, as it is a minor thing to change in the build?

I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks in Advance.

I think the best place to start would be to get yourself a linux box and compile the image your need. Almost any odd/old beast of a PC would do the job for you, just add Debian and shake together with a few extra packages - then run the build. You could alternatively install a dual-boot setup.

You seem to now a bit already ;-)

Can all that is required be done on Gentoo, as I have used Gentoo very briefly before and would be more comfortable installing that (I'll probably use a VM).

Could you or anyone else point me in the direction of the additional RPM's I will need to install etc for the Linux box to perform the tasks?
I read somewhere on here most probably that I will need a SquashFS add-on, but beyond that I'm stumped.

Cheers

richard_j_green wrote:

Can all that is required be done on Gentoo, as I have used Gentoo very briefly before and would be more comfortable installing that (I'll probably use a VM).

Could you or anyone else point me in the direction of the additional RPM's I will need to install etc for the Linux box to perform the tasks?
I read somewhere on here most probably that I will need a SquashFS add-on, but beyond that I'm stumped.

Cheers

THIS MAN IS THE GREATEST LINUX NOOB EVER

Also yes the distro will not matter, I build openwrt on gentoo all the time.

I accept I am a Linux noob yes, but that's because everywhere I have been, worked, and played has not had the need for me to learn any Linux, so I use Microsoft operating systems day to day.

Surely you should say "Welcome to the Linux World" with open arms to welcome me to what you consider a better world rather than chanting noob in all caps?

I regard to my previous post, I am more than happy to learn my way around a Linux install and build my own firmware, and probably brick my router in the process, but if someone could guide me to a document or a URL or something that will help me with what add-on's I require to complete the task I would be very grateful.

Thanks

richard_j_green wrote:

I accept I am a Linux noob yes, but that's because everywhere I have been, worked, and played has not had the need for me to learn any Linux, so I use Microsoft operating systems day to day.

Surely you should say "Welcome to the Linux World" with open arms to welcome me to what you consider a better world rather than chanting noob in all caps?

I regard to my previous post, I am more than happy to learn my way around a Linux install and build my own firmware, and probably brick my router in the process, but if someone could guide me to a document or a URL or something that will help me with what add-on's I require to complete the task I would be very grateful.

Thanks

I have created a guide for idio... ahem, noobs like yourself coming from a Windows world who want to compile OpenWrt.  It is specific to the Edimax BR6104KP, however you may find the first part useful.  You can do all this on Windows, so long as you have about 512MB ram:  http://linux-adm5120.sourceforge.net/openwrt/idiots

This will get you started if you have zero Linux knowledge, but I don't know anything about OpenWrt configuration for your specific router, so can't help there I'm afraid.

the openwrt build system is a LOT easier then the stuff you usually get as a gpl release from the vendor. making one change would be harder then making openwrt do what you want. the dg834v2 is arm and seems like it would be supported according to the list, but i'd ask someone on irc, since there's no specific page for it.

The discussion might have continued from here.