OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bricked D-Link?

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

DI-524UP

Seems like its life had finally come to an end, until I popped it open and found the cause. To cut a long story short, it was positioned very high in the room (roof level) and it fell on the concrete floor. It wouldnt power on, and I'd tried another power supply, to no avail. It broke one of the solders, the coil located just near power input/reset button. I have re-soldered this in and now it powers up, but seems to stall as it powers up. It blinks the first light then the status comes on strong then the WLAN light lights up for a second then flashes, then the status light flashes at a slower pace. I checked everything inside, there are no more breaks in the circut, and it looks fine.
I have a few questions:
What does that coil do?
Does it sound like the firmware needs to be re-flashed, and if so where can I get this done/can I do it myself?
What more can I do?
Is my unit bricked?

if the lights are changing as you describe it's probably not bricked, as software is doing that. i suggest you attach a serial cable to see whats going on

Turns out it wasnt bricked! It needed the firmware put back on it, it was in crash mode.

The discussion might have continued from here.