OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Best bet for USB 2.0 and Wireless?

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've been using OpenWRT on WRT54GLs for some time and love it!  I'd like to move to a device that has USB 2.0 support.  What's my best bet? 

Sorry to have to ask this on the forum but I spent a number of hours today going through the hardware tables and it seems that after detailed searches for each potential device I find, I discover they are no longer available.  Any help  is greatly appreciated!

Depending on how this thread works out, maybe I can put some of this info into the Wiki for other people looking to buy.

Thanks!

ALIX2D3.
I switched from a Netgear WGT634U to a (now superseded) ALIX2C3, and I love it, too!

Hi ninjasteve, at this time you can buy the new Fonera 2.0, with 1 USB 2.0 port, 32 MB of ram, 8 MB of flash, and an Atheros SoC running @ 180MHz for 40 € + shipping fee. I'm trying it with the new Openwrt 8.09 and it works, but I'd  like to compile from trunk to have a custom build with all the needed packages for USB. The problem I've in this moment is that if I share (with samba) a USB disk (FAT32) I can transfer data at a maximum rate of about 1MB/s (via cable...). I see (with top) that the samba server process eats a lot of CPU time... maybe I can try to use NFS. I'll try in the furure, in this moment I haven't a lot of free time.. I'll try CUPS to share my printer, and in the future sane, also, for the scanner.
Best regards
Francesco

Mbacicc wrote:

Hi ninjasteve, at this time you can buy the new Fonera 2.0, with 1 USB 2.0 port, 32 MB of ram, 8 MB of flash, and an Atheros SoC running @ 180MHz for 40 € + shipping fee.

AFAIK, this is a bad investment. FON WiFi routers are underpowered even overclocked! I have my FON2100 running on OpenWRT SVN with only asterisk-1.6.0.1 (no WiFi or other packages). The asterisk works just fine, except if I do something, i.e. ssh into my FON, the audio quality on an on-going call drops dramatically that the audio voice sounded like, not only choppy, but robotic. Overclocking my FON2100 to 200MHz doesn't help at all.

If you want to invest on a WiFi router that is supported by any open-source community firmware, at least go with the recommendation by MMCM above.

I know.. everything depends on what you want from that hardware, I've explained my problems using the samba sharing (CPU lack), but, you know, there are some differences in the design of the 2100 and all other FON routers. 2100 uses a Linear Voltage Regulator, that causes overheat of the board. I don't know if the SoC switches its frequency to prevent overheating. 2200, and newer router, use a switching regulator drop-down module that keeps board temperature around 30-40°C.
I haven't tried to use Asterisk as a call PBX (here in Italy there is a free online pbx that is very very good for home use; I don't know if I can make ads here, if you want to know maybe you can PM me...), I use it only to remote manage things at home, so I can't tell you if on my board there is the same problem you have, mazilo.
So, I repeat, this is a low cost router, so you can't expect high performances.
Bye
Francesco

Mbacicc wrote:

So, I repeat, this is a low cost router, so you can't expect high performances.

That's exactly what I tried to convey on my previous post: why wasted $$$ on an underpowere WiFi router.

ininjuly wrote:

I tried to use Asterisk as a call PBX, there is a free online pbx that is very very good for home use but I don't really know what are those...

I just hope you are not a spammer who doesn't seem to know any free online PBX service, but to spam this forum with the ONLY signature to show a link to a global provider of unified IP business communications solution including application-rich IP PBX.

The discussion might have continued from here.