OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: how to record sound using USB sound card mic?

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I would like to record sound using a microphone on a USB sound card.
i have install usb sound card and insmod sound module as below:

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-rawmidi.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usb-lib.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko

and  used mpg123 play a mp3 file successfully.
but i can't rawrec from usb sound card microphone.

root@DD-WRT:~# rawrec -d /dev/sound/dsp
rawrec: SNDCTL_DSP_SYNC ioctl on /dev/sound/dsp failed: Invalid argument
cat /dev/sound/dsp
cat:read error:Invaild argument

if /dev/sound/dsp can't be read, how to record sound?

anyone have record sound using USB sound card,maybe insmod other driver module.

I am able to record sound using a USB sound card on OpenWRT. I'm using kernel version 2.4 (because I want wireless to work on my broadcom-based device), and OSS drivers (not ALSA - they took up more space than OSS).

The program I'm using to make the recording is called bplay, and I posted the necessary Makefile and patch to get it working. Here is the message to the dev list with that info: http://www.mail-archive.com/openwrt-dev … 02371.html

Hope that helps.
Dan

I've got myself the trial version of Adobe Audition 1.5 and picked up a logitech usb microphone from circuit city today. When I plug in my mic I can record audio from it using windows built in sound recorder. I then go to Audition to try it in there but it will not get audio from it. I selected the mic as the recording device and of course made sure it was setup in the control panel. I have checked the recording level and still have no luck. I've googled and googled looking for an answer but no one seems to know if it works or not. I've tried the adobe support forums and the same thing. there is no definitive answer on whether or not it will work. I hope it does because it has a nice long cord that goes all the way in the back behind my desk and has good sound.

If some one can let me know if they got it work and if so how I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

The discussion might have continued from here.