OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear Wnr3500l

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Found today interessting article on slashdot.org... Looking for a WRT - GIGABIT ethernet router which can do the following:

-VLAN
-VPN
-SSHD
-ICP DHCP (where I can change dhcpd.conf)
-Firewall with Port Forwarding
- MUST BE VERY STABLE

Now I was looking over hours for a 'WRT' compatible gigabit device, no chance to find one. Can someone here recommend me something, would Netgear WNR3500L be a good choice to wait for?

Also, when I drop the gigabit requirement, which would be the best router for me?

Many thanks in advance!

-- Zeno

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/13 … -09-18-09/

smile

I am looking forward to this *a lot*, I just hope it will be able to run 802.11n out of the box. I think the WNR3500L does look like worth waiting for, although reviews about Netgear's 'antenna' technology has gotten mixed reviews (they don't really use antennas but some type of print on the circuit board itself). The above link says WPA(2) isn't working yet but wireless is, let's hope by the time it pops up in Europe WPA2 will be supported, otherwise it's as good as useless as a wireless AP...

I dunno I suspect this is another Atheros-based reference designs like WRT610n and a lot of others.  Some of these it's been trouble getting the switch working.  Then when you get past that there is the WiFi drivers all over again just like Broadcom.  The Ath9K driver is loaded with problems.  It would be lovely to see a router that's REALLY open but I suspect they mean they'll hand you a black-box driver blob which only works with certain kernels.

This is a broadcom 4718 Soc based 947xx platform. The wifi driver is binary only but at least dd-wrt kernel 2.6 works on this router (with the WiFi). I am trying to get some patches out for OpenWRT brcm47xx target. The patches for brcm-2.4 targets are already available in myopenrouter.com

Thaks for the answers, I think also is werth to wait for it... hope it gets released soon in europe

This looks quite interesting now.  When it is available from NewEgg in US I will order one.

I am doing my own research as well to get openwrt to run with dd-wrt kernel and have made some progress.
I have been assisted by dd-wrt team's leader - I am trying to get wrt610n working with openwrt and dd-wrt kernel 2.6 - this should outcome a working router with wifi(also n) and wired. But this work is still in progress, so help wouldn't be unwelcome..

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 33&p=9

were you able to get this working on a 3500?

The discussion might have continued from here.