OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: recomendation for (a)bgn-router

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

i want to buy a new router that is fully openwrt compatible. Actually i have a Speedport W501V with freetz-firmware (speed2freetz) (Its a Fritzbox from AVM) that integrates a dsl-modem, an accesspoint and two analog voip-ports.

Did openwtrt supports hardware with voip-ports and an integrated dsl-modem?

After reading here in the forum, i found a recomendation for the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … main.board).
But with this device, i would have three separete devices (1 dsl-modem, 1voip-box, 1 ap).

Thanks for your help

The WRT54GS is the best router of Openwrt. You can use versions 1.0 to 3.0. It has some nice features.
- 8MB flash memory
- built-in 4-port switch
- 200MHz MIPS processor
- WAN/internet port
- 32MB RAM
- 802.11b/g wireless access point

rymn wrote:

Did openwtrt supports hardware with voip-ports and an integrated dsl-modem?

I believe OpenWRT has a support form DSL modem, but not VoIP, yet. These days, most of 2nd generation VoIP devices are based on a TI AR7 platform with a VoIP (Le88221) chip/driver licensed by Legerity, AFAIK. However, I beloeve Legerity has GPLed its driver source code, but I don't know why OpenWRT has not caught up its developments with this GPLed source, yet.

smithdwsn wrote:

The WRT54GS is the best router of Openwrt. You can use versions 1.0 to 3.0. It has some nice features.
- 8MB flash memory
- built-in 4-port switch
- 200MHz MIPS processor
- WAN/internet port
- 32MB RAM
- 802.11b/g wireless access point

Surely OpenWRT also can run on something that has gigabit networking, USB, and/or wireless N?

(I'm also looking for a new router to use OpenWRT on. I have OpenWRT on a WRT54GL already, and the extra features I listed aren't too important so I may just go with the WRT54GS 3.0.)

The discussion might have continued from here.