OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Preparing OpenWRT router for sale on eBay

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Dear all,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle.

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54-1 router on which I installed WhiteRussian. I was using it as my main router for some time, but have now replaced it with a pre-N router.

I'm thinking of selling the Buffalo on eBay, but what precautions should I take beforehand to avoid the risk I'll have left sensitive information on the router? I'll obviously need to give the buyer a new password, and I'll have to clear the whitelist of MAC addresses, but what else? Delete log files? If so, which ones? Command line history? Anything more?

Is there some kind of "Restore WhiteRussian default settings" command?

I'm sorry if this turns out to be a noob question. I did have a look for answers to my questions but couldn't find any. If they're already written up and I've just overlooked them, please point me in their direction.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Restoring the default firmware (or putting the latest Backfire on it) would go a long way, you can clear nvram variables as well afaik (I don't know if WhiteRussian still uses nvram though).

WhiteRussian, even with a web interface, is horribly outdated, and chances are people looking for a second hand router won't know how to get it working.

The discussion might have continued from here.