OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: IPv6-oriented build for WRT54* devices

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

After a request on a Dutch forum I decided to try and create an IPv6 build for WRT54G* devices.

At this moment it's pretty bare metal, no GUI and only a few extra packages.

What I have at the moment:
6in4
ip6tables
wide-dhcpv6-server
radvd
nano (editor)
rsync (for easy backups)

Files at: https://bitbucket.org/zsub/open-wrt54-v6

(Last edited by Zsub on 9 Mar 2011, 13:48)

So I flashed my GL with this, and more or less bricked it. sad

Neither WiFi nor WAN works. And nano gives an "can't resolve symbol '__pack_f'" error.

I managed to enable WiFi with 'vi' (why is it disabled by default?) but how do I enable the WAN.

And, more importantly, how do I get back the GUI?

I really would want IPv6 to work, but this project obviously wasn't for a CLI n00b like me... smile

I think I might not have used nano on my own GL, so that's a wee bit stupid of me. The WiFi is disabled by default because (well, just my hunch), by default, there are no security settings, so anyone could log in.

The GUI was not included for storage space reasons, but I'll see if I can build something with a GUI.

Ok, new version available shortly. New:
6to4
6scripts
6tunnel
Luci (the GUI, please tell me if I missed something here)
aiccu

EDIT:
Ok, uploaded new version, I have not tested it yet. Find it at: https://bitbucket.org/zsub/open-wrt54-v6/

(Last edited by Zsub on 10 Mar 2011, 10:25)

I am just curious why you replace 6in4 package with 6to4 package. Also, someone in the IRC channel mentioned that 6to4 doesn't support tunnel, IIRC. BTW, if my ISP supports IPv6, are these packages, i.e. 6to4, 6scripts, 6tunnel, LuCI, and aiccu, enough to run an IPv6 as a starter or do we need more?

I didn't replace it, I added it, you could use either of them or both smile I'm aiming for something that even users of older hardware can use to experiment with IPv6, be it via 6in4 (i.e. he.net), aiccu (sixxs) or 6to4.

I think that if your ISP gives out v6 addresses this might actually not work, I hadn't considered that possibility yet tongue

I sure would like to compile/build my own firmware for Fry's FR-54RTR router (an AR71XX platform) with an IPv6 capability that will be used to connect to an apartment WiFi that supports IPv6. Having to know nothing about IPv6, I sure would like to know if you and/or anyone out here can chime in to help on what packages are needed. This way, I can turn the router into an IPv6 capable through a WiFi connection.

Totally depends on how v6 is implemented. Can you get a subnet, or just some addresses? Maybe you need a dhcpv6 client or only something to pass through the traffic...

OK. Thanks.

The discussion might have continued from here.