OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: setting up WRT54GS under a Linksys BEFSR41 router

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Jan 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I need to setup my wrt54gs running openwrt underneath another, much older, wired ethernet router. My cable modem connects to that, and im wondering how to connect the wrt to it. Do i connect to the uplink or to any other port?

I have tried both, but maybe im doing something wrong and need to disable/enable something on the wrt. Any ideas? I can't connect to the internet from a computer hooked up to the wrt54gs at the moment, and that means i cant do and ipkg stuff either, and i wanna get dropbear on it at least.

I actually purchased a BEFSR41 recently with intentions of hacking any of a number of useful functions into it.  I don't need wireless so I figured it would be perfect. 
   What I found, unfortunately, is that 99% (100%?) of the hacking info/tools out there are geared towards the WRT/WAP devices and that while it would technically be possible to hack the BEFSR41 it is sufficiently different from the wireless models that it would take an inordinate amount of time as one would essentially be reinventing the wheel.
   The wireless routers, conversely, have a large and active hacking community and plenty of useful pre-existing tools.  It will be well worth the <$100 you'll spend on a new WRT54GS for the hassle it will save you!

The discussion might have continued from here.