OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: remote / ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

is there any possibility to get root from a nfs-server at boot time?
This would be pretty, thus i don't have to bother about memory size and write cycles.
Thanks, bye, b52

I think it should be possible.  You could try to mount the remote fs, and the "pivot_root" to it.  I'm not sure if it would work.  Other option would be a "nfs root" support in kernel (I used it with "etherboot" a long time ago).

Yes, I would also use pivot_root method, but could anybody tell me how to get sunrpc.o, lockd.o and nfs.o into my kernel? Because at the moment i have to do a pivot_root to get /dev/mtdblock/4 on /, insmod all the nfs-modules and do a second pivot_root to get my nfs share on /.
Has anybody experience with that?
Thanks, bye, b52

Tried nfs root, didn't work though.

Can mount nfs disk and pivot_root actually succeeds. But then after mount /proc and /dev and /dev/pts, the /sbin/init call fails.

Tried manually execute above steps. Got same result. Busybox executes the init precedure but seemed init didn't call /etc/inittab. So I end up with a pivoted root and same proccesses as before pivot_root.

I don't have usb interface. So can't try USB way.

BTW, my configuration is:
WRT54G v2
Whiterussian rc4

Any comments?

(Last edited by dreamdreams on 6 Dec 2005, 05:42)

The discussion might have continued from here.