OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Performance: VPN server (endpoint) on a 200 MHz WRT54G(S)?

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Does anybody here have it's WRT54G(S) acting as a VPN server, and what performance can I expect?

I read an article in the German and Dutch magazine C't. They mentioned the 125MHz or even 200MHz versions can not act as a VPN server over 54Mbps and is slow on lower speeds.

Well, I'm using my wrt (v 1.1) as a vpn-gateway for my LAN.
It provides me the maximum of speed (2Mbit Down/ 256kbit up) I can get with my current ISP.
The pings are also quite normal (without vpn ~15-20 ms, with a maximum of 25-30ms).

Does anybody here have it's WRT54G(S) acting as a VPN server, and what performance can I expect?

Depending on what you define as "VPN server", check out this forum post:

http://openwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=191

I read an article in the German and Dutch magazine C't. They mentioned the 125MHz or even 200MHz versions can not act as a VPN server over 54Mbps and is slow on lower speeds.

Which issue is that, this month's? (i.e. September)

Depending on what you define as "VPN server", check out this forum post:

http://openwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=191

That is exactly what I was looking for. No wonder I didn't find it: I was searching for 'vpn' posts.

Which issue is that, this month's? (i.e. September)

Germany:c't nr 9/2004, page 198
Netherlands: c't 07-08/2004, page 88

If you can't find it, the WRT54G article is also on several p2p networks as pdf file.

If you want the article, send me a pm ..

If you want the article, send me a pm ..

I don't read German too well :-)

I'll pick up a copy in a few weeks when I get back in .nl.

Thanks anyways.

I only have G models, not GS models, but I recently did some pretty heavy testing of openvpn using 128bit AES between them, and got decent results.  I posted them on the IRC chennel, but don't have them here in front of me.

I need to flash another 1/2 dozen routers this week, and when I have a few up and running, I'll come back here and post the results. 

I seem to recall that, when using a 100mb/s ethernet link and openvpn on my laptop to openvpn on the WRT54G, I was getting about 4.5 mb/s over a single thread, one direction.  Changing it to bidirectional gave me about 2.5 mb/s each direction.
when I used 4 threads simultaneously, bidirectional, the throughput was less than 480kb/s per thread.  For me, these results are acceptable.

John Gorkos

The discussion might have continued from here.