OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wep shared key

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everyone,

I've this problem. I use OpenWRT 3.x and my inet provider introduced wep shared key. And from this time I can't associate.

I tried set wl0_wep=on and wl0_key1=xxxxxxx but without success.

My question is: Does  linksys WRT54g v1.1 and OpenWRT support wep with shared keys and how to set up it?

Thank you

Before I understand this wrong. What has your provider to do with your accesspoints WLAN? Instead of using a wired connection, you are connected over a wireless link to your provider and you are connected with the linksys by wire?

WEP has always a pre-shared key. There are however two forms of authentication with WEP: open and shared. If you use the key you received from your inet provider and configure your linkys the right way, it has to work.

My guess is you don't use the right key and/or you didn't set all WEP settings right. Use at least HEX key's (there are also shorter ASCII key's, don't use these) and please read about WEP here.

Sorry for not fully correct question.

I use linksys as a client and I'm connected to my internet provider by wireless connection. I need to setup wep with shared authentication, but I don't knot how to set it up. I set wl0_wep=on and wl0_key1=xxxxxxx but without success.

I've read all OpenWrtFaq, but I didn't  mentioned anythink about shared autentication. Is this type of authentication supported by  wrt?

Thank you.

would it be because you neeed to turn it to a client ? As normally, it functions in server mode which is not what you want.

Another possibillity is the key is wrong. Try to code it in hex form as suggested.

Another could be that you need to set the key length.

How long is the key you get from your ISP ? In what form ?

I need to associate with AP, which use wep 64bit and shared authentication/

I set  wl0_wep_bit=64 (I forgot to write this) and   wl0_key1=KEY_IN_HEX

but it didn't associate. 

Later I tried to do the same with PCI card and until I set  shared authentication it didn't associate as well. Therefore I think, that problem is in setting linksys to shared authentication mode. And question is: How to do this?

Thank you

WEP is a shared authentication, i.e. one key(where actually 5 to choose from) shared by any one want to use it.

You wrote:
>There are however two forms of authentication with WEP: open and shared.

I want to set shared explicitly.  Is there any way how to do it?

WEP is a shared authentication, i.e. one key(where actually 5 to choose from) shared by any one want to use it.

Your confusing a shared key with shared authentication.
A WEP key is alway a shared key, that's correct.
But with WEP there is also a form of authentication, thus not only to encrypt data with the key but also verify somebody is authorized to connect.

There are two forms of authentication with WEP:
Open: the WEP key is not used to verify the user is authorized
Shared: the AP sends a string to the client, the client has to encrypt te string with the WEP key and send it back. If the encryption is correct, the AP is allowed to communicate with the client.

PM needs WEP with shared authentication. The Linksys firmware can be configured to use open or shared authentication. The question is, is this possible with OpenWRT and how?

stand corrected.

just curious though, what is the point of this mode if the same key is used ?

I'm not sure,  but I guess that this prevents you from associating to AP if you don't  have correct key.

In open authentication you associate AP and than you communicate with encrypted packets. But you don't need correct key to associate.

Am I right?

And does anybody know how to force linksys to use shared authentication?

The discussion might have continued from here.