OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Several suggestions.

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have some other suggestions:

+ I think that the default access after just installing should be ssh instead of telnet, or should have them both by default (ssh and telnet).  Off course, this could lead to a question: OpenSSH or Dropbear by default.

If somebody doesn't like to have ssh installed by default, maybe you can remove the ssh from the default via a parameter to make.

+ For upgrade.  Well, due to the size of the distro, and the configs (not too much of them), I don't think this can be a terrible problem, but: shouldn't there be a way for having the whole system as jffs2?, and have just one "partition" for the kernel (maybe fixed size, say: 1.4Mb).  This way, the whole system could be made of packages, and be easier the upgrades.  Well, the drawback could be the great advantage that squashfs gives: compressed files (does jffs2 support such a thing?).  I think this could be of less importance on the wrt54gs (due to the extra flash).

Any comments are wellcome,

Sincerelly,

Ildefonso.

that is what I am after in another thread.

I wish that all the .mk files(except a few real essentials like busybox, uclibc) has an option to "get into rootfs" in addition to ipkg.

This way, anyone can control it from the master Makefile and pick what they think is "essential packages" that will go into squashfs rootfs.  So we can preserve the spirit of openwrt, minimalist but give us some flexibility on what should be in this "minimal set".

Another thing I don't know is I have done a "ldd busybox" under the hosting system(i386) which said busybox built for openwrt is not a dynamic executable. Since we need to put uclibc there anyway, can all the package build as dynamic instead of static to save some space. I could be wrong though as I don't know too much about these cross compiling thing and not sure if "ldd" is valid in this case.

Well, I don't know either.  In Agenda, people compiled everything statically in order to save RAM, and also made the processor run code directly from the flash (a feature of the NEC processor used).

I'm not sure, I think all of these should be dynamic, but I'm not sure if busybox is compiled statically by default (due that it is most oftem used to recovery and installation disks).

The discussion might have continued from here.