OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRT54GS routing problems

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've recently got a new WRT54GS. I fairly quickly put OpenWRT on it, as I wanted more control over the box.

What I want to do is have the lan ports work for straight internet access, so that my desktops can get a public IP address from my ISP. Any wlan clients I want to  get NATted addresses from the Linksys.

To do this, I did these settings in NVRAM:

nvram set lan_ifname=vlan0
nvram set wifi_ifname=eth1
nvram set wifi_proto=static
nvram set wifi_ipaddr=192.168.1.2
nvram set wifi_netmask=255.255.255.0

And told dnsmasq to serve only eth1. This works partly. Wlan clients get an IP address from the box, but can't ping or connect anywhere, even 192.168.1.2.

Wired clients work fine, but only if I connect my ADSL box (which is a bridge) to any of the Linksys LAN ports. The WAN port doesn't work for this. It does get an IP address from my ISP, though.

So what did I do wrong? I thought this should be fairly simple.

Hmm, 30+ views but no replies? Is this really so radical? Or maybe I didn't give enough information.

I read a lot of other posts and one of them mentioned overlapping subnets being problematic. So setting eth1 to 192.168.1.2 while vlan0 is 192.168.1.1, is apparently a bad idea. I set eth1 to 192.168.2.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0 on both and it works now.

The discussion might have continued from here.