OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Meraki MR16 BB r41824

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm not sure how many people would be interested in this but I managed to build a working version of Barrier Breaker for the MR16 and it seems stable, so far. It's just the generic Atheros AR71xx with USB support taken out as well as modified boot args to suite the flash layout of the MR16. This is the first time I've ever compiled OpenWrt so I may have made a mistake or 2 but in the end it works and does what I need it to do.

Here's a link to both the kernel and the squashfs filesystem.

I have only figured out how to flash it by using serial and flashing via uBoot. There is a file in the zip that contains what to do in uBoot to flash it as well as set the bootcmd to make it boot.

Hopefully this helps someone out who wants to flash something better than what is currently on their MR16. I ended up doing this because my MR16 kept on dropping clients and would stop passing data for certain clients. So far with OpenWrt it seems stable with those problematic clients.

(Last edited by parker955 on 25 Jul 2014, 09:40)

Nice!  We're looking at the MR12 in the hardware hacking section. 

I'll x-post.

I can confirm it works on the MR66 "outdoor version of MR16"

Can someone help me with this. I have MR66 and would like to flash it. The link for the zip seems to not be active.

I can so this with a Meraki that I know nothing about, and is claimed by some other account on the Meraki dashboard, right? I found one lying around, and I can't seem to recover ownership of it, may as well sacrifice it for the good of the openwrt project if I can't get it to work the way it was intended smile

Can you re-post the zip file.  The link doesn't work.  I have some MR16s (among other meraki aps) that I would love to get working.

I would love to get OpenWrt running on my old MR16.

Can the OP re-post the files?


Just a heads up, I was able to get the MR16 up and running on the latest nightlies with everything functioning.

Code and release images are on github at … /releases/. Just follow the OpenWRT Wiki page for flashing the MR16, which can be found at or follow my repo's readme.

If anyone needs me, I normally hang out in this thread.

(Last edited by riptide_wave on 24 Mar 2015, 03:44)


I'll order the serial cable and give it a go asap :-)


Hello, Can someone tell me what type of serial cable I would need to do this? usb preferably.

For the easy, minimal path, here's what I've done on a couple of our APs to run the latest final release build successfully:

  • Get TFTP server and serial connection working, of course

  • Download kernel.bin and rootfs-squashfs.bin for the correct device from the latest build (as of today at … /generic/)

  • Put those two files in your TFTP root

  • Boot the AP with serial connection active, keep pressing a key quickly until it drops to <ar71xx> prompt

  • Copy/paste the flashing commands into your serial session

  • After it finishes and reboots into OpenWRT, change root password with 'passwd'

  • Done.  LuCi web interface is available to configure device.

This information is available in a few different places but I thought I would put it all right in this thread since it shows up high in the Google search results for anyone else looking to get OpenWRT running on their Meraki MR16.  This is the USB adapter I used

I've got my Meraki MR16 here and my serial UART device here and wired up.  I'm sitting at UBOOT, however, I can't get my TFTP server to see the AP.  I followed the instructions on the MR16 and TFTP OpenWRT wiki pages.  I used the command:

setenv ipaddr
setenv serverip

I can successfully ping the TFTP server from the AP:

ar7100> ping
Trying eth0
Using eth0 device
host is alive

However, from my TFTP server (Windows 10, no firewall enabled) I can't ping the AP.  I don't see the MAC/IP in my ARP table at all.  I'll let it sit overnight.


After letting the AP sit at UBOOT over night, I finally saw the MAC address in my ARP table.  Once I was able to see that, I was able to successfully pull the BIN files over TFTP.  I'm not sure why it took so long for everything to work itself out.

The discussion might have continued from here.