OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: mips64emul

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey, I found this:

http://www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md1gavan/mips64emul/

I've been trying to get the thing to emulate the WRT54G, and after I sent an e-mail to the developer, he got interested and apparently added support.  The problem is that he uses BSD and I'm using Linux.  I can't seem to get anything meaningful.

I think this could be a pretty cool tool to test out things without having a sacrificial router.

Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that it emulate at a speed of a few Mhz(less than 10) on pretty powerful i386 system. Don't know if it is practical at all.

Given the design of openwrt, it usually needs only one flash for the core system. Any future change can be done through ipkg.

The only reason multiple flash is needed would be when changes to the kernel is needed, or when you are really running out of flash space as squashfs compress more than jffs2. Otherwise, the core component seems to be pretty stable, yes there will always be a newer version here and there but why bother if what you have works.

The discussion might have continued from here.