OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT web interface suggestion

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all. I'm a developer of wifiadmin, a GPL project aiming to create a web interface in PHP for any wireless extensions enabled driver.

I wonder if wifiadmin could be intergated into OpenWRT, so as to act as its web interface.

Wifiadmin is written in PHP4, it is 30something kilobytes tar.gzed and runs with minimun installation effort. We have been developing for about a year now, and the project has reached a certain level of maturity.

Our homepage can be found here. It would be nice to see the two projects work together! I must say of course that am a newbe in the WRT world, since our wireless nodes are usually old PCs with pci cards(and wifiadmin).

Taken from OpenWrt home page

OpenWrt provides a minimal linux environment suitable for booting the router and providing basic functionality.

All others functionality (like your wifiadmin) can be added with ipkg installation. Built a working package, publish your repository and someone will give it a try.

Hi InDio,

WifiAdmin looks like an excellent project - very nice work indeed.  It's projects like yours that will help to make Community Wireless networks more accessable to a wider user-base, which can only help their growth and popularity.

The Wireless-Tools package is supported under OpenWRT, but unfortunately, the driver for the WRT54G's wireless interface is proprietary and hasn't been fully reverse-engineered.  So not all features of Wireless-Tools work on the WRT54G.  For full control, you need to use the proprietary 'wl' userspace app.  'wl' is available as a package for OpenWRT.

There is an existing web-interface package for OpenWRT - it used to be PHP-based but it has been converted to use Ash-scriping to save space.  The web-interface is modular and allows add-on interface packages through the use of style-sheets.

I must say though, the screenshots of the WifiAdmin interface look very nice indeed.  I would be happy to sacrifice the extra space required by PHP if it meant I could use your interface on a WRT54GS. (which has 6Mb of writable space under OpenWRT).

If you are able to deal with the limitations of the embedded environment that is OpenWRT, I'm sure many OpenWRT users would greatly appreciate an OpenWRT version of WifiAdmin.

Thank you danversj for your encouraging comments!! tongue  tongue We have been developing for about a year, and since our last 0.0.2 release, which adds loads of features, we've had little user feedback.

If WRT fully supported wireless extensions, given a PHP-aware httpd, porting Wifiadmin to the WRT environmet would be a matter of a few hours. Given the circumstances though, we are facing great difficulty. Also consider the fact that we must port to an environment that we do not have access to smile, at least at the moment.

Further suggestions are welcome! It would be nice to at least have an idea on the need for a web interface in the OpenWRT community, so that we can proceed with developing a port....

With some quick calculations, I can say that wifiadmin, WITH the support for RRDTool that will create graphs of various information, will take up to 500k of space.
Is there any chance that rrdtool can run in OpenWRT?

cherete, ti kanis? A greek wifi-project from Patras.
Really nice to see. ;-) Could you have a look for your screenshot-link:

http://wifiadmin.sourceforge.net/screens.php

Error messges:

Warning: OpenDir: Permission denied (errno 13) in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 682

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 683

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 697

Warning: OpenDir: Permission denied (errno 13) in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 653

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 654

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 672

Warning: OpenDir: Permission denied (errno 13) in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 682

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 683

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 697

Warning: OpenDir: Permission denied (errno 13) in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 653

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 654

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/groups/w/wi/wifiadmin/htdocs/qdig.php on line 672

Check security.
The ./qdig-files/ directory appears to be world-writable.
See INSTALL.txt for information about setting permissions on the directory
to something reasonable (like 0755 / drwxr-xr-x). There is also a $check_security
configuration setting you can use to disable the security check.

Yes, we are aware of that minor problem smile, it should be fixed by the time you see this.

Hope somebody could give us some insights on whether the openWRT-wifiadmin marriage is possible smile.

Andreas, nice to see a Greek in these forums:). Na xairesai tin giorti sou pou perase file smile

The function of wifiadmin are looking great, but it will be hard to marriage.  I got the sources and would try to install it (first of all I need a NFS_share at /www/cgi-bin ;-)).
Please send me your email. I'll give you a account to my WRT via ssh and we will check it out.

MyEmailIs: ascz2002 at yahoo dot de

charika,

Andreas

The discussion might have continued from here.