OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Buildroot and 2.6 branch for motorola

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!
I have started playing with the buildroot and it seems quite a nice thing.
It is so nice that I just can't believe it. I have a wrt850g motorola router - and in the config I can select the Kamikaze branch. Everything went smooth with building. I must say it is "fast" (comparable to i.e. gentoo building of familiar linux building) and  doesn't require a lot of space.
Just tell me - is it safe to flash my router with the kamikaze image . Of course I don't ask what is going to happen if I made a wrong config but generally - is 2.6 branch stable enough ? It probably is for the linksys devices but I haven't heard of anybody trying it with motorola....
Thanks

Yans

I also played around with kamikaze on a wr850G v1, but with 2.4 kernel.
Things I noticed:
- no webif (not ported yet)
- nvram vars were not read(-> router ip = 192.168.1.1 despite any entry in nvram)
If you try to get something stable I wouldn´t go for the development branch:-)

Berni

OpenWrt no longer uses nvram; if you want to change your ip, change it in /etc/config/network.

Buildroot-ng should be quite stable, it just isn't documented yet and is missing several key features.

The discussion might have continued from here.