OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: A berg this way comes

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Jul 2017. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

It's been moving at a glacial pace, but apparently a berg has sliced off and is floating in the North Atlantic and headed this way.

Why was he banned? Seems like valid post. I'm sure there're lots of people contributing to the betterment of OpenWrt/LEDE in some way who are not subscribed to the mailing list and they would find this news-worthy.

stangri wrote:

Why was he banned? Seems like valid post. I'm sure there're lots of people contributing to the betterment of OpenWrt/LEDE in some way who are not subscribed to the mailing list and they would find this news-worthy.

I landed here via main page (had to have a look after reading the comment about 2000 vs '95 CSS), looks like News forum is linked up that way. As a regular user I do not have permission to create a topic here. Guess this should be a sufficient explanation for the ban.

On the actual topic, just glad that there finally is some movement. This pushing back a decision was hardly bearable.

Why not restrict who can post in the news rather than ban users who do?

Would explain why no news on last two LEDE releases are posted in the news section.

If mods are reading this -- please unban anomeome.

It seems very petty to ban this user.

stangri,

Why not restrict who can post in the news rather than ban users who do?

It is restricted. The site says "Sorry! no permission to post new topics" instead of the new topic button. Check for yourself. Sanctions are to be expected in such a case and if he/she wants to appeal there are means. Hard to believe the "hacking" happened accidental though. Maybe there is a plausible explanation, it seems rather stupid thing to do after all.

Would explain why no news on last two LEDE releases are posted in the news section.

The moment a new name and domain was brought forward LEDE became a completely separate legal entity with no stakes in OpenWrt at all. Pretending otherwise was what made it easy for me as an outsider to decide which side was at fault in the first place.

I say it again, I endorse proper forks but despise reboots which are a sugar coat expression for (attempted) hostile takeovers. OpenWrt is a registered trademark, so this isn't a child's game, and all that happened was suspension of some mail accounts when it could have gone much further.

Anyway, I congratulate both sides for getting together again and hope for future conflict resolution to have a more mature tone / taste.

@sera -- sure, for the sake of the community, let's keep people on the 2-year old, non-working on some modern devices distribution, rather than inform them of the more up-to-date fork. I can appreciate that you personally don't want to update to LEDE because of your principles, I strongly disagree that you should deprive others of the information about it.

I second another user's opinion that it is very petty to ban a user who posted a link about potential merger of OpenWrt and LEDE.

@anomeome is a great asset to the community, it's the OpenWrt forum's loss, not his/her to not have him/her here. With the LEDE Project forum in place, I doubt @anomeome is going to appeal this petty ban via other means, I certainly won't.

stangri wrote:

@sera -- sure, for the sake of the community, let's keep people on the 2-year old, non-working on some modern devices distribution, rather than inform them of the more up-to-date fork. I can appreciate that you personally don't want to update to LEDE because of your principles, I strongly disagree that you should deprive others of the information about it.

Where on LEDEs front page does it say that OpenWrt moved to github? Isn't it obvious that it doesn't belong there? Why on the other hand do you expect other distributions to carry LEDE news. Do you have a single example of distributions doing such?

Also better is a rather relative thing. If it's an improvement for you by all means use LEDE. For me neither OpenWrt nor LEDE is usable as is, though I can make to work either for me. Also the majority of people are best served with the OEM firmware and with what I consider a modern router I can run any Linux distribution. Check out McDebian for instance.

stangri wrote:

I second another user's opinion that it is very petty to ban a user who posted a link about potential merger of OpenWrt and LEDE.

The ban is utterly unrelated to the contents and solely for "hacking". Why do you think "hacking" is ever acceptable? Who is eligible to "hack" a distro? How can one earn the credits to get away with "hacking"? Why wouldn't the same message in General Discussion not be all the same except for not overstepping the given permissions?

Those not being able to accept coexistence will without a doubt use this thread / ban as an example of how evil OpenWrt is and reiterate that the only solution is to burn the witch at the stake. I'm perfectly fine with people not being able or willing to collaborate but have zero acceptance for let's call it distro war to not give them even more material.

The language used in the WRT AC thread for the possible re-merger is dies dead dies dies. For me this is about as bad as it can get for an environment. The linked article there is just as bogous.

The whole situation is alienating enough for me to have a hard time formulating what is really wrong. For the first time this new discussion for a re-merger doesn't feel like an outright scam.

The discussion might have continued from here.