OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: building with EAP FAST in wpa_supplicant, how to debug built img?

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I need a build of OpenWRT for a linksys WRT1200ac (Marvell Armada 385 88F6820) which has EAP-FAST support compiled into wpa_supplicant as I need this feature to 802.1x authenticate to my wired WAN. The pre-built image does not have this enabled.

So I am attempting to build this image myself with support for EAP FAST in wpa_supplicant, I have followed the steps here: (wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build)

I used a fresh EC2 instance running Ubuntu 16 LTS and everything appeared to work as expected, I used make menuconfig and made the following configuration changes:

Target System: (Marvell Armada 37x/38x/XP)

Made the following configuration changes:

Removed:

Network->wpa_supplicant*
Network->wpad-mini

Added:

wpad

This seemed to work and a set of images was produced in bin/mvebu, I tried flashing this one on my Linksys WRT1200ac via the web interface on the Linksys firmware:

filename: openwrt-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-cobra-squashfs-factory.img

After rebooting, my router just has a solid power light I can't connect to it via any of the lan ports though the lan lights will show when you connect a cable. At this point all I can do is hard reset it to use the prior flashed image.

My question is, is there anything I can do to validate the built image prior to flashing it? Or is there a way I could get more debugging info after flashing/loading it? I don't have any problems flashing this pre-built image:

chaos_calmer/15.05.1/mvebu/generic/openwrt-15.05.1-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-cobra-squashfs-factory.img

So I am assuming my image has either an invalid combination of configurations and/or something is wrong with my build system. Appreciate any suggestions, thank you

(Last edited by zugdud on 11 Jul 2017, 14:36)

zugdud wrote:

I need a build of OpenWRT for a linksys WRT1200ac
Target System: (Marvell Armada 37x/38x/XP)
This seemed to work and a set of images was produced in bin/mvebu, I tried flashing this one on my Linksys WRT1200ac via the web interface on the Linksys firmware:

filename: openwrt-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-cobra-squashfs-factory.img

After rebooting, my router just has a solid power light

You flashed the wrong firmware. wrt1200ac is not Cobra. Cobra is wrt1900acs.

wrt1200ac is "Caiman"
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series

In addition of selecting the "target" you should also select the correct device to be built (as it makes no sense to build for all routers of the family if you only need image for one).

And you should not use the ancient and pretty much unmaintained 15.05 branch.
Easiest might be to flash a stable LEDE 17.01.2 release and then use opkg to remove wpad-mini and to install wpad. (Or compile a fresh LEDE image with you package selections)

Ps.
If you have missed the developments, practically all active Openwrt core developers forked off a year ago, formed LEDE and continued the development there, while the old Openwrt source code has been practically unmaintained. LEDE 17.01.2 is roughly Openwrt DD as of April 2016 plus one year of further development. (and as Openwrt has seen no development since then, you could also say that it is Openwrt DD as of July 2017 plus one year of further development.)

For all practical aspects, LEDE 17.01.2 is the current stable release (released last month). It is not named Openwrt, but so what. Next release should then again be "Openwrt", as the Openwrt and LEDE developers have recently voted to merge again, and to continue work from the base of the current LEDE
https://lede-project.org/releases/17.01/start

(Last edited by hnyman on 11 Jul 2017, 16:22)

Ah I see, many thanks!

I did the 30/30/30 method to roll back to the old firmware and then using the web interface I tried to upload this stable image:

downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.2/targets/mvebu/generic/lede-17.01.2-mvebu-linksys-wrt1200ac-squashfs-factory.img

However, I'm having the same issue as before, I get an activity light for the lan port but no lan connection. When I wireshark the interface on my computer there is nothing on the wire but DHCP requests being sent by my computer. Trying a manual address (192.168.1.100/24) and nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24 also reveals my computer as the only host that is up.

Anyway, atleast this helps clear some things up for me, I guess I'll try the lede-17.01.2-mvebu-linksys-wrt1200ac-squashfs-factory.img
again using a fresh router just to rule that out

You are flashing from the Linksys OEM firmware, right?

Talk about non-existent 30/30/30 stuff makes me think that you might be using dd-wrt...
(Openwrt and LEDE store settings on the file system in the flash, so there is no 30/30/30).

If you are flashing from a running Openwrt (or LEDE), you need to flash with the sysupgrade image instead of factory image.

Hi Hnyman,

Sorry for the late replay, I just wanted to let you know that thanks to your advice I was able to get my router working as intended. ended up using LEDE 17.02.1 and was able to install wpad via opkg, I then was able to authenticate with wpa_supplicant (using eap-fast )on my wan.

I have shared this configuration with a few of my colleges who will likely run the same setup.

Many thanks!

The discussion might have continued from here.