OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: add a NIC to Arduino Yun to be an access point AND client?

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I want to use an Arduino Yun as an access point for a small local network.  However, I also want to be able to add that Yun to a public network for internet access.  It can do one or the other, but can't seem to do both simultaneously.

Can I add a USB NIC to a Yun and use OpenWRT to achieve this?  I read that the NICS must be bridged, I am far from a networking expert so I am looking for:

1.) confirmation that the above scenario can be done
2.) Example settings/configs/scripts to accomplish the above scenario.

Thanks!

The hardware you have and OpenWrt can do this already.  Set up a routed client to the public AP.  This interface is the WAN network.  Meanwhile you can have a private AP running on your LAN.

Search for "routed client."

thanks mk24.  I have found this page: wikiDOTopenwrtDOTorg/doc/recipes/routedclient

When i try to follow the steps, the network changes force a disconnect and I can't seem to reconnect to the device.  I have to reset wifi to factory defaults. 

is this the same routed client concept you were referring to?

If your client can't connect to the public AP for some reason (out of range, wrong encryption), your private AP that is running on the same radio will go off the air.

(Last edited by mk24 on 29 Sep 2017, 17:34)

The discussion might have continued from here.