OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dumb AP / Access Point Only - WIRELESS

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I want to connect 2 routers without cables... the main router has configurations (mac restrictions, dhcp, QOS rules), and the second router should use the restrictions from the main router.

I found the solution here.... I tried this document for dumbAP and it works as expected.
wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap

The problem is that it needs to be wired.... i want to do the same dumbAP in wireless mode.

Any guide please?

I just went through a similar situation.  I have a main router with several switch's that have to be connected.  So I use a pair of AP's.  I have (3 WDS enabled devices).  So I hooked one to my main router as the WDS AP and the other 2 are WDC clients.  This is all default config.  All I did was setup a wireless network on the main and then connect the other 2 two it.  I am done.  I know I can do more but, it is doing what I need to. 

BTW I have $24 in three AP's.  That's not a bad deal.

The only thing I need is reporting, and a central console.  Having to manage them independently is a pain.  But really not having to pay the huge management, & license fee's is the big pay off. 

Just off the subject why two routers?
RC

Thanks for the answer, I use 2 router because i bought one, then i upgraded it..... since it's my home network, i'm just practicing.

The discussion might have continued from here.