OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Download Links in Makefile need to be updated!

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi Devs,

I'm building my first OpenWRT Image from buildroot at the time. A couple of Files (uClibc and busybox) are no longer at the original sites for download. I have changed my local Makefile to point to the newest versions of both. The build runs through without errors now.

Wouldn't it be better to point to the "snapshot" file instead of the dated version. This way you always get a download. Of course this could be a problem if a version comes out that is incompatible. The dated versions are removed when they're older than a month or two as far as I could see.

Another thing: It would be nice if the make process ended with something like "OpenWRT built successfully!" or the sort instead of "sed -e "1s,^W54S,W54G," < openwrt-gs-code.bin > openwrt-g-code.bin" like it does now.

Since I'm comfortable with buildroot (I work on different similar projects - OpenEmbedded, OpenSIMpad etc.) this doesn't bother me, but it could be confuse first time users.

Chris Martin

Yes, we're aware of the missing snapshots.

The reason why we do use dated snapshots is to ensure that patches apply cleanly and that the latest cvs commit hasn't completely broken things. I'd rather have people complaining that they can't compile than complain that they compiled a bad image and now need help restoring.

Speaking of dead links for b4-pre-20040509...

Bridge-utils 0.9.6 link is dead. Bridge-utils has to be downloaded using sf.net mirrors. In addition, 0.9.7 is available.

Dnsmasq 2.6 link is dead as well, as 2.7 and 2.8 are available. 2.6 now sits in archive directory.

I'm thinking of two solutions to this. The first is the most obvious : setting a unique storage mirror for third party software where it could get downloaded without problem. The second one could be a sort of configuration file that would get downloaded first and would specify :
    1. available versions
    2. where to download them
It could dramaticly simplify third party software integration, even allow alternative links.

Just downloaded, openwrt-20040509.

make fails with a 404 "file not found" error on the download of uClibc-20040509.tar.bz2

The uClibc-20040509.tar.bz2 snapshot no longer exists on www.uclibc.org. Looks like they dropped the snapshot due to age.

Recommendations or archives?

Any of the newer snapshots known usable? Presumably we can't go back to uClibc-0.9.26, the last actual release.

I also submitted bug on wiki:

http://openwrt.ksilebo.net/Bugs?action=show

for download links problems, we could use this :

- wget --spider url to check each urls,
- create un buildroot a make -openwrt-check-urls that take all urls for make/* and procede to an url check,
- may be it's possible for each targets to define a TARGET_DL_URL and use that information in a loop.

Maybe it would be wise to setup a mirror for the dated build dependencies, like uclib and busybox. If you can shoot me the originals I can probably put something online somewhere.

.darrel.

As a first time openwrt user this annoyed the *&^*&^ out of me.  I used a different snapshot and bricked my unit because of login changes to busybox.

I think the idea of a mirror is a very good one.  Somewhere, someone suggested recreating the missing mirrors from their CVS repositories by checking out by date (using the date on the snapshot we were using).  This worked for me, but what a hassle, it hardly encouraged me to get involved or contribute.....

I also feel the same. Building toolchain for openwrt is really such a pain. It's a big drag for the deveopers who want to get involved.

Openwrt is already being used by many users. It's build process should not be limited to just few developers. At least there must a document to guide the new developers. Nobody can even imagine what that build script is doing and what are dependenices.

I am not blaming anybody. It's just a suggestion to make openwrt more accessible to developers.

-Manu
---------
Manu Garg
http://manugarg.freezope.org

The discussion might have continued from here.