OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Omni Wifi Antenna 2.4Ghz high gain

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

has someone a source of a (budget) real, tested high gain (9-12 dBi) 2.4Ghz Omni Wifi Antenna with RP-SMA connector.
Something like this: aliexpress*com/item/Aperit-1-Replacement-9dBi-WiFi-RP-SMA-Antenna-Omni-Directional-for-Asus-Wireless-Routers/32813458110*html (* -> .)

I have bought several cheap antennas from China. ALL fake. F***ing Chinese.
I tested them against the 3 dBi antenna that came with the GL.iNet GL-AR150 router.

[Router] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .300m.obstacle.free. . . . . . . . . . . [Notebook]
Both on tables, both on the millimetre same position. Just changing the Antenna on the Router.
NONE more than 5 dBi.
Anyone ?
Thanks.

(Last edited by openwrt.n0t on 14 Feb 2018, 03:54)

I would say that omni antennas are limited to a gain in the range of 6dBi. In the 12 dBi range, you need to form an unidirectional beam, which you can usually achieve with a flatpatch, yagi, can antenna or a helix.

MBS wrote:

I would say that omni antennas are limited to a gain in the range of 6dBi.

Are you not ashamed for a replying such a nonsense ?
I'm not even feeling to supply any link to prove the contrary. Like supplying prove the earth is round...

MBS wrote:

In the 12 dBi range, you need to form an unidirectional beam, which you can usually achieve with a flatpatch, yagi, can antenna or a helix.

You assume I'm a noob and have no idea about antenna radiation profiles and the right application of the different antenna types. I can assure you that I know what kind of antenna fits best to the application since I used external antennas with my Orinoco silver wifi card.

I can do without this kind of reply

That was mainly a short wrap-up of my knowledge and experience about antenna gain. Anyway, good luck finding the antenna you are looking for.

The discussion might have continued from here.