OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kamikaze 2.6 on WRT54GL v1.1

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello.  I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten kamikaze to work on a WRT54GL v1.1.  I've poured over the wiki and the forum, and i haven't found anything specifically related.  I've had no trouble compiling the kernel - i'm quite comfortable in linux.  Whenever I perform the upgrade either via mtd write w/ the .trx, or upgrade via tftp w/ the .bin, the router would never get past the flashing power light and I have to short the pins on the flash to recover.  I've tried recompiling a few times, and even went searching out there to see if someone had a pre-compiled bin.  No luck so far.  Has anyone been able to get this to work, and can you offer any tips?

Kamikaze development is listed as ? on http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ys/WRT54GL for V1.1.  Since it seems to be basically the same as a V1, I didn't see any reason why it didn't work.

What I'm trying to do is get my WRT54GL to associate in client mode to a WPA/PEAP network, and then try to do either client bridged or client routed mode (which ever I can get to work).  We are running a Cisco LWAPP network, and many of the "bridges" out there either don't work or don't support WPA/PEAP, so this may be the only solution.

I am going to attempt this with RC5, but it seems like the people having luck with doing things of these sorts have all been running a 2.6 kernel.  If anyone has any help regarding either of these, I would really appreciate your help.  So far reading over these forums has been really enlightening, and i've been really impressed by everything that has been acomplished so far.

Thanks,
Matt

Which pin have you shorted on the flash chip ??  I've had the same problem.

Have you managed to get 2.6 to work on a 1.1 GL ??

Thanks,

Chandi

I followed this guide: http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forum … hp?t=47259

On the GL, the flash is in a different spot, but it looks basically the same.  If you scroll to the very bottom of the guide, it says:

note:

4M flash chip (WRT54G v1.0, v1.1, v2.0) Use pins 15&16

4M flash chip (WRT54G v2.2)Use pins 16&17

8M flash chip (WRT54GS v1.0, v1.1) Use pins 5&6

15&16 didn't work, but when I moved the screwdriver over to 16&17, it did the trick.  I've had to short it multiple times while experimenting with getting 2.6 to work, with no luck.  There is a ticket open in the bug tracker (#798), so I'm keeping my eye on that to see if there is any progress.

shamsway wrote:

Hello.  I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten kamikaze to work on a WRT54GL v1.1.  [...]

Kamikaze development is listed as ? on http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ys/WRT54GL for V1.1.  Since it seems to be basically the same as a V1, I didn't see any reason why it didn't work.

Thanks,
Matt

I have both RC5 and kamikaze-2.4 working on WRT54GL v1.1.  I'm trying to get 2.6 to work. Important problem with v1.1 is that Linksys switched to Samsung flash chips. As for now they are not supported with 2.6.17 (and 2.6.18 either). I've patched the chip id procedure to make the chip detected, but then programming flash with mtd tool doesn't work. (Programming single bytes/files seems to work fine, since passwd and other changes to filesystem works. Hmmm... erase problem?).

As far as I can tell, wireless port does not work with 2.6 too, but I will do some more research before filling the ticket.

Regards,
BO

The discussion might have continued from here.