OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can't get OpenWrt to recognize WLAN interface on Buffalo WHR-G54S

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm using Kamikaze/r5335 and trying to get WLAN to work. The problem is that the wlan interface is not even recognized (iwconfig gives no wireless extensions). Tested also with White Russian RC5 and there I had no problems. But I'm doing some development work and basically need the ability to compile the firmware myself.

From the configuration:

- target system set to Broadcom BCM47xx/53xx [2.6]
- kernel modules --> wireless drivers --> kmod-ieee80211 and kmod-net-bcm43xx enabled (tried both package and built-in)

Is there some other options that definitely should be set, or is there maybe some problems with the 2.6 kernel support (RC5 uses 2.4 kernel, right)?

So. I finally got the correct driver to be included in the firmware, and even to load on boot (thanks floe). The problem now is that the driver exits with following info:

bcm43xx: Chip ID 0x5352, rev 0x0
bcm43xx: Number of cores: 7
bcm43xx: Core 0: ID 0x800, rev 0xe, vendor 0x4243, enabled
bcm43xx: Backplane->PCI connection failed!

Thus, no wireless interfaces are initialized.

What was your workaround to get the driver build and loaded? Currently I choosed the same as module but it doesn't seem to build any ipk yet. (I am building for x86, but using a broadcom based wifi card.)

(Last edited by mathias on 27 Nov 2006, 21:42)

Yes, I too would like to know what's required to get bcm43xx support compiled in... I'm having the same problems as mathias.

I tought about bcm-driver doesn't support kernel 2.6, since I used to compile for 2.6 x86? Just a stupid try to figure out... ;-) As I see, strontian mentioned it also in the above post.

(Last edited by mathias on 28 Nov 2006, 07:43)

For me at least, the problem in building bcm43xx support was that configuring the support through 'make menuconfig' in the main buildroot directory wasn't enough. I had to configure the actual kernel by either running 'make menuconfig ARCH=mips' in build_mipsel/linux/ or modifying target/linux/brcm-2.6/config. See a related thread: http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=7956

I don't know if the situation has changed in newer revisions. As I couldn't get WLAN working with the bcm43xx driver I finally gave up and reverted to 2.4 kernel and Broadcom's proprietary driver. If anyone has had better luck with the same hardware, let me know.

(Last edited by strontian on 28 Nov 2006, 09:12)

The discussion might have continued from here.