OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kernel driver wl.o gets compiled with two kernel version

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Ok.. Here is my setup and situtation:

* WRT54GL Using openwrt kamikaze from trunk as of "March 23 2007" running kernel version 2.4.34

The kernel module wl.o gets compiled with two kernel version specified

#strings /lib/modules/2.4.34/wl.o |grep version
       wl%d: %s %s version %s
       kernel_version=2.4.20
       kernel_version=2.4.34
       __module_kernel_version

I tried searching in the source code for any files where it might mention kernel_version=2.4.20  but have not found any.  I have no clue how the module keeps getting compiled with the wrong kernel version.  The module loads and works fine if I force insmod to load it. 

If anyone can help me troubleshoot why its doing that, or has had this issue before, and has found a solution, that would be great. 

Also, I know there is very little information in regards to what configuration I used when I compiled openwrt, so if there is any extra information that is needed, please let me know and I will post it.

Thanks,

William.

Well, here is an update.  I couldn't find the source for wl.o driver.  Upon further testing I found that I could edit /etc/modlueles.d/30-brcm-wl and replace the "wl" line with "-f wl" .  This forced insmod to load the module at start up ignoring the error about different kernel version.  This was for a jffs2 image on WRT54GL.

I also tested a squashfs image on WRT54GL and found that the module loads correctly there with out errors or having to modify the "30-brcm-wl" file.  The wl.o driver still has two kernel versions on it, but it still loads fine.

-W

The discussion might have continued from here.