OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can I use brcm47xx-2.6 for Buffalo WHR-G54S

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I know it says I can use the brm-2.4 for white russian, but I was curious if I could use the brcm47xx-2.6 instead.  Here's the information for the router:

Broadcom 5352 @ 200MHz
Broadcom (integrated)

Yes, but wireless will not work.  Broadcom's bianry wireless drivers are built against the 2.4 kernel and the OpenWrt devs have had to heavily tweak them just to run on later 2.4 kernels.  There is no way to get those drivers running 2.6, but the bcm-43xx project is writing open source drivers, but they still have quite a bit of progress to make before the drivers can be considered for OpenWrt.

Thanks for the reply.  So I can use the brcm-2.4 Kamikaze image with wireless working then?  I just ask because of your response that they are heavely modified.

Yes, brcm-2.4 works (quite well I might add)

Appreciate all the help.  Running out to Circuit City today to pick up the router.  The switch on my old Linksys wrt54g went out last night so I need to pick up something.  The Buffalo has a rebate of half off today so I definitely wanted to get one I can hack again.  Figured while I was at it, might as well try Kamikaze.

The discussion might have continued from here.