OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Initial login/password change borked.

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

So I've been trying some more recent builds of openwrt on my fonera and all SEEMS to go well, but unfortunately when the initial login to telnet and root password change is called for, I get an 'openwrt login:' prompt on port 23 and trying to enter root as a username gives me an incorrect login.

I've even tried going into the base-files package and editing the /etc/passwd file to give root a predefined password from the getgo and it too refuses to work on either telnet or ssh.

Anyone got a clue where I may be going wrong here? I tried a number of older revisions dated probably a few weeks back on this same fonera with no problem whatsoever. I think the only thing I changed this time around was I enabled a few extra apps in the busybox config, most notably in the user management category, though I can't see how simple management apps would have actually interfered with the base login system.

(Last edited by Vchat20 on 23 Apr 2007, 03:37)

It appears you've enabled the actual login program as part of your "enabled a few extra apps in the busybox config"

Ah. yes. I see now. I enabled 'login' and 'sulogin' here. *smack forehead*. Well, disabled those two and an recompiling now. Will see if this does the trick. Thanks. smile

The discussion might have continued from here.