OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: outdoor mesh

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anybody utilize wrt hardware in outdoor with waterproof box?
What are external min and max temperature that you have reached?

I see that with sun, temperature into the box is 15 °C over normal air temperature (with wr850g). But with -20 °C temperature into box reach -3 °C and therefore problems.

(Last edited by onebit on 14 May 2007, 21:25)

I have used the Buffalo WHR-G54S and Linksys WRT54G in some pretty extreme heat.   I have had the Linksys running in an Attic for two summers now and the Buffalo for one summer.  The attics reach approximately 120 °F (49 °C); well above their rated temperature.   

I also have the buffalo in Rootenna boxes since last fall.    Again no problems.  In the Rootenna, I take them out of their plastic shell for better air flow.  I haven't measured the temps, but last winter we saw some nights below 8 °F (-13 °C).

These consumer routers seem to do better will with heat and cold than their ratings suggest.  Probably because of their low power consumption.   

I'll be putting some Meraki Minis to the test this summer in Rootennas.

I tested a wr850g into a simple box (without his standard case) and it works at -20°C

The discussion might have continued from here.