OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: HELP MEE reset, flash, problem WRT54GL v1.1 kamikaze

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
yesterday, I have upgrade firmware dd-wrt to openwrt kamikaze (7.06, brcm2.4 1 Jun 2007) in my  WRT54GL v1.1,
This update was successful.
I have observe that nvram configuration was not default setting so I do this:
mtd -r erase nvram
I rebooting successfully. And all configuration work.
Today have modify somes options but now I can't connect on my wrt54gL (web, tftp, telnet, on lan, wan and wlan)
I want to reset it but now it not work.

I have tested some solutions
Plug in the router and wait for the DMZ LED to light up. Then immediately press and hold the reset button for 2 seconds. If done right the DMZ LED will quickly flash 3 times every second.

/!\ Holding the reset button before the DMZ LED turns on (i.e. when the bootloader is still running) can reset the NVRAM. Resetting the NVRAM will brick some models.

and other but the reset don't work.
The DMZ led go on but it not flash.!!

I don't know if the boot_wait is on because I have do mtd -r erase nvram

Now I have last solution but I want evoid it:
flash with PIN16 on mass.

Help me please.

Maybe I have the same problem with you.... I flashed my buffalo with 7.06, but reset button is out of work....

Hook up a serial console port, most problems are very easy to fix from there.  Pin-shorting has a chance of damaging the flash and is NOT recommended.

Could you tell me how can I connect to Buffalo WHR G54S by serial? as i cannot find any port for serial on buffalo

See the Hardware Wiki here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ardware%29

Some people just cut open a Nokia DKU-5 cable if they want a quick hookup for serial, it's got the chip for converting the 3.3V TTL signals of the router to what you need for PC.

Recommend you READ THE WIKI for documents like this one:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Ins … WrtViaTftp

There are "SEARCH" buttons on both the Wiki and Forums where this ground has been covered many times.

Do not rush around erasing things and shorting out pins without knowledge of what you are doing, that is not smart.

9 times out of 10, even before learning to add serial console to routers, I have rescued bricked routers SIMPLY BY PERSISTENCE.

Put a switch between PC and router to keep link up.  Keep trying different timing of power-up, send TFTP file.  Sometimes it goes very quickly other times it takes many tries.

With serial console though it is usually much easier and quicker. And is only 3 (or 4) wires to solder on router, no big deal.  The variant of serial port design I use is so simple I just add the jack for it, to every router that passes through my hands now.  It was originated from JimWright and netprince, and is documented in section 3.1.2 of this page:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … /WRTSL54GS

Here endeth the lesson.

(Last edited by vincentfox on 8 Jun 2007, 06:46)

You really should have read the wiki.  Kamikaze doesn't even use nvram, and erasing it is almost always a bad idea.

Ok thank you

(Last edited by yurek on 11 Jun 2007, 10:04)

The discussion might have continued from here.