OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DHCP and DNS

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just installed openwrt on my wrt54g v2.2.  It has the experimental version on it.  I turned on boot wait and I also set the wan_hwaddr to my PCs mac address because my cable ISP requires it.  I did a ifconfig in the router and it shows that the wan interface has been setup properly.  When I use DHCP on my PC interface it sets the dns server as 192.168.1.1 but nothing will resolve.  How do I get DHCP to propigate the DNS servers that the ISP sent to the wan interface to the local DHCP?

dnsmasq will feed out it's own ip address as the dns server (usually 192.168.1.1) and will create a proxy dns server. dnsmasq itself uses resolv.conf which should have been setup by the dhcp from the wan.

The resolv.conf did not exist in the /etc dir.  Is that the location of it?  What could be causing it not to create the file?

My WRT54G v2.2 works with http://openwrt.org/downloads/experiment … -jffs2.bin. But I found it has some dns resolving problem with dhcp client daemon.

udhcpc's script writes dns info on /tmp/resolv.conf, instead of /etc/resolv.conf. But dnsmasq refers to /etc/resolv.conf.

It needs a link /etc/resolv.conf to /tmp/resolv.conf, or modified /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script.

The discussion might have continued from here.