OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wanted a web interface to openWRT firewall rules

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am going to set up a WRT for a customer of mine that needs to change just some firewall settings by himself. Since he's not so keen to ssh, vi and iptables, I was wondering if there is some web interface to the firewalling script. I have found about a web interface project, which is a good starting point, even has a lot more features which I don't need, but firewall management is not so complete, for example it lacks rules to lock local pcs out of the internet.

Also, the web interface project seems to be no more actively developed. I also like to play with useful features instead of a web interface, but this time I need one...

You could try http://www.fwbuilder.org/ , if I'm not mistaken it has a firewall "compiler" specifically for OpenWRT.

Not sure it's what you're looking for, but it's a great tool anyway.

As far as I have understood from a rapid reading, fwbuilder can create rules for iptables, and that's good, but it cannot run directly on the WRT...

As far as I have understood from a rapid reading, fwbuilder can create rules for iptables, and that's good, but it cannot run directly on the WRT...

I haven't tested the generated script but I did download fwbuilder and there is an option to create a firewall targeted to the WRT (it's option says Linksys/Sveasoft - yes this isn't Sveasoft but the first part "Linksys" indicates - Linksys - AND - Sveasoft). In anycase the generated rules looked good, but I don't have time to test them right now.

Go ahead give it a whirl.

Dan

True, it was only a longshot by me. Maybe (very maybe) it's of use to you. If not, maybe to someone else someday browsing through the forums.

fwbuilder generates (shell) scripts with iptables rules, or it can generate an iptables-restore file (which you can quickly load in one go, "quickly" is a good word on a "slow" linksys). I haven't tried either of them on a linksys yet, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

The discussion might have continued from here.