OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: uPNP doesn't seem to work

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm using OpenWrt White Russian with X-Wrt Extensions 0.9 (Webif2 r2687) on my Linksys WRT54GL v1.1.
miniupnp is installed but uTorrent is complaining that there is no incoming connections. Port check (http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=<p>) also fails.

But in Windows, under the Gateway Properties, I can see the port mappings, they are correct.

uTorrent log shows me:

[21:52:57]  UPnP: Discovered host: http://192.168.<x>.1:5000/rootDesc.xml
[21:52:57]  UPnP: Discovered new device: http://192.168.<x>.1:5000/ctl/IPConn
[21:52:57]  UPnP: Mapped TCP port <p> -> 192.168.<x>.<x>:<p>
[21:52:57]  UPnP: Getting external IP
[21:52:57]  UPnP: Got external IP: <y>.<y>.<y>.<y>

Finally, connecting to the router:

root@OpenWrt:~$ iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source               destination
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp option=!2 flags:SYN/SYN
input_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
input_wan  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
LAN_ACCEPT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     gre  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with tcp-reset
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
TCPMSS     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp flags:SYN,RST/SYN TCPMSS clamp to PMTU
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
forwarding_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
forwarding_wan  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
MINIUPNPD  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain LAN_ACCEPT (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain MINIUPNPD (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             192.168.<x>.<x>      tcp dpt:<p>        # <-- this is it
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             192.168.<x>.<x>      tcp dpt:<p1>      # rest are irrelevant, may be msn
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             192.168.<x>.<x>      tcp dpt:<p2>
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             192.168.<x>.<x>      tcp dpt:<p3>
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             192.168.<x>.<x>      tcp dpt:<p4>

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
output_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with tcp-reset
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain forwarding_rule (1 references)

Chain forwarding_wan (1 references)

Chain input_rule (1 references)

Chain input_wan (1 references)

Chain output_rule (1 references)
root@OpenWrt:~$

The port is truely closed, can't connected to it.

Can anyone tell me how to get it work? (Shall I get provide more info? What and how?)

I had the same issue with ktorrent, and just as with Oleg's firmware, UPnP was not working (I do not know what UPnP daemon Oleg uses). I switched back to static forwarding by the router's firewall, for what it's worth...

It must be working. Any ideas what to do? Replacing by other upnpd (linux-igd?) can be a solution?

Well, you say it yourself. Did you try the alternative? As i say i never checked what daemon Oleg's firmware uses, but it did not work (or only half of the time).

OK, I tried linux-igd, and it works perfectly!

However, it was a bit tricky to install it (at least by webif2): I had to issue 'ipkg update', then 'ipkg install libpthread', after this webif2 was also able install linux-igd.

Both nat AND filter tables should be checked :

iptables -v -n -t nat -L PREROUTING
iptables -v -n -t nat -L MINIUPNPD
iptables -v -n -t filter -L FORWARD
iptables -v -n -t filter -L MINIUPNPD

i had some issues with getting upnp running with my bittorrent clients (utorrent and transmit, mac) untill i found the post above me, but it took me quite a while to figure out what to do with it..

Just copy/paste line by line from the code part of the beforementioned post into a terminal with a working ssh/telnet connection to the router.

that and removing all previous attempts (uninstalling software components) and installing only the miniupnpd v1.1-5 package enabled both my clients to respond with a green light next to the port number.

sorry for stating the obvious, but for some users (me included) its good to have a detailed description when searching for a solution smile

I'm using OpenWRT Backfire 10.03.1-rc4 on a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I have installed miniupnp and enabled it.

# opkg install luci-app-upnp miniupnpd

# /etc/init.d/miniupnpd enable
# /etc/init.d/miniupnpd start

I then ran the four iptables commands in the previous post and rebooted the router.

I can see the relevant ports in the firewall like the original poster, but the port does not forward. I can create a static NAT rule, so I'm confident that the service in question is live and that it's only the miniupnp that isn't seemingly forwarding the ports.

Any suggestions on how to debug?

The discussion might have continued from here.