OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support for Marvell 88F5xx81 based routers

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Jan 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Can anyone help: how can I setup the openwrt to restart, say, every day at desired nightly hour?

Read Previus page
Read on Google: "man crontab"
use

crontab -e

Just to let you know, there's a dependency issue for USB support (ticket is 6753).
kmod-usb-core also needs kmod-nls-base.

Fixed this manually in my package repository for the latest build.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 27 Feb 2010, 21:42)

I put latest build r19875 on wnr854t, and it does not allow any wan access.  Using dmseg, I do see the wan port status being up, and there is a message about "unable to open rtc device rtc0"(dont know if this is normal).  Since there is no wan, i couldnt install luci or x-wrt directly, so I was just using ssh.  From ssh, I tried ping www.yahoo.com and traceroute www.yahoo.com, and it just sits there...

Any suggestions?  Also, any rough gestimate on when the wnr854t wifi driver may get pulled in?  Thanks

The message "drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)" is normal, just tells you that there is no real time clock inside your router, that's why you normally update the time via an ntp client (e.g. package "ntpclient").

(Last edited by maddes.b on 28 Feb 2010, 01:44)

My educated guess is that I can hack the mwl8k driver to work for me, but still not compile nor test it.
I already release the details, search, don't ask. Will keep this thread informed of any progress.
BTW I'm looking at libertas driver for the firmware handling stuff

Update to kernel 2.6.32 and LED support for WRT350N v2 was committed in r20185.
So future OpenWrt snapshots will have this included.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 14 Mar 2010, 22:43)

Compiling kernel 2.6.33 for Marvell Orion CPU fails for the DT2 board.
Issue is tracked in ticket #6863.

Compilation problems with 2.6.33 were fixed in r20226.

Unfortunately the new kernel is now 1.3MB (=1.308.756) in size (with symbols) and doesn't fit anymore into the current kernel mtd partition.
Either the partition has to grow, or someone with kernel knowledge finds out if the kernel can be resized or slimmed down.
Without symbols its size is 1.2 MB (=1.172.520).
Ticket for this is #6869

(Last edited by maddes.b on 15 Mar 2010, 19:41)

Backfire is build from a recent revision, so should be as stable/unstable as my previous releases.
Would be great if you could report issues/success to the developer mailing list.
Will get into testing it soon.

Here's the output from Backfire:

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2010-02-27 02:12:25 UTC) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r19880) ------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:/# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 2.6.30.10 #2 Sat Feb 27 04:38:07 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/opkg.conf
src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/orion/packages
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /jffs

Comments:
* r19880
   (=missing: kernel 2.6.32, LED support on WRT350N v2, madwifi and hostapd update)
* Kernel 2.6.30.10
* opkg is not downloading from the backfire package repository, [s]to correctly test Backfire and not the current trunk, replace the first line in opkg.conf with[/s]:

src/gz backfire http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03-beta/orion/packages

ATTENTION!!! MD5 checksums of Backfire repository are wrong, so continue to use the trunk repository for testing the beta.

So not much missing from current trunk in Backfire beta, the release candidate (RC) will have opkg.conf and repository fixed.
If the Backfire RC will be based on the most recent revision, then we would get all the latest additions for Orion too.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 17 Mar 2010, 00:15)

Uploaded build of trunk r20245 with kernel 2.6.32.10.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 7 Apr 2010, 19:45)

Could some WNR854 and DT2 users also test my r20245 build with kernel 2.6.32.10.

As it is running really solid on my WRT350Nv2 I would recommend this for the Backfire release candidate.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 20 Mar 2010, 13:47)

maddes.b wrote:

Could some WNR854 and DT2 users also test my r20245 build with kernel 2.6.32.10.

As it is running really solid on my WRT350Nv2 I would recommend this for the Backfire release candidate.

"REALLY SOLID" including wifi?

Wifi is working ok for me, but I use wifi not very often and I always restart wifi every morning at 05:00 via a cron job.
At least it shouldn't be more unstable than before.

As stated a few times before, we use WRT350N for Wifi for nearly half a year now. No instability to speak of, especially with a nightly cronjob to restart wifi.

Well, I'm sorry to say that, but I do not agree... I've thrown my wrt350n away 2 months ago because I was just fed up with the wifi instabilities (even with a nightly reboot).
With  just 1 client connected it was almost ok, but as soon as I got a second one connected, then it usually started to be a nightmare (very frequent client deconnections). And with a 3rd one it was almost non usuable.
So I ended up buying a Netgear WNR3500L to replace it and I can now enjoy rock solid wifi connections.

operron wrote:

cool story bro

No, not cool, very disapointing indeed sad

domadm wrote:
maddes.b wrote:

"REALLY SOLID" including wifi?

Ok @Maddes, I'm your WNR854T guinea pig smile

Flashed my WNR854 back to OEM via tftp.
Upgraded to 20245  "NOT_FOR_NEWBIES_openwrt-wnr854t-squashfs-webupgrade.img"
installed webif

no wireless config found on webif and no wireless interface in dmesg of ifconfig.

Another oddity is that jffs shows only 25% full, but further pkgs fail with "Only have 0kb available on filesystem /"

Also webif says no update possible. Did this rev not include your sysupdate patches?

Did I miss something in the install process?

Thanks

(Last edited by jammers on 26 Mar 2010, 01:06)

About WNR854T wireless:
The stock wireless card is not yet supported by the kernel, there were some postings about this on the last pages (e.g. #779-#781 on this page).
This is the reason why you can not configure any wireless on the WNR854T stock hardware.

In the case you already use a different wireless card, and it was working before, then please file a new bug ticket and/or contact nbd at openwrt.org about (I know he is maintaining mac80211, hostapd, and at least ATH9K drivers).
Please provide as much info as possible and in a clean way, e.g. dmesg log as gz/zip, infos from /sys, etc.
And don't forget to write your nick and mail address in the ticket (also happens to me from time to time).

About WNR854T sysupgrade:
The sysupgrade is included but not yet support by WebIf on Orion CPUs.
Just 'sysupgrade -n -v ...' on the console. Also allows to revert back to stock firmware.

About WNR854T jffs:
This is error message is weird, I can only think about one reason: the current trunk has a different jffs overlay than before.
So if you upgraded from an old OpenWrt and kept your config (no '-n' on sysupgrade) then this may not fit the current release.

@jammers:
sorry, for the late reply, but I currently have some important family stuff that needs my attention.
LAN, Internet, etc. works?

Good night
Maddes

(Last edited by maddes.b on 26 Mar 2010, 23:32)

Backfire release candidate rc1 is out, which is roughly the same as my r20245 build.
rc1 still has a 2.6.32.9 kernel, but all 2.6.32 targets are already updated to 2.6.32.10 for Backfire (r20444).
As 2.6.32 will be a long-term supported kernel (see here) this the preferred kernel version for all Backfire targets.

(Last edited by maddes.b on 3 Apr 2010, 10:03)

Nilfred wrote:

Who believe in magic?
So add this to the mwl8k driver for it to pick up the card:

+    { PCI_VDEVICE(MARVELL, 0x2a02), .driver_data = MWL8361, },

a813c8c0dd58deab9472d8e3e7c0fb5b  netmw145.sys
Extract:
07fcb3fc7f2b4c7fbc78575796ea984b  fmimage_8XX1.fw
ccbbe74ebfae9daecbd329cc818faaa3  helper_8XX1.fw
Rename obviusly to:
fmimage_8361.fw
helper_8361.fw

Hope this work for Netgear WNR854T. I'm not a magician.

@maddes:  Family always before hardware !

Was hoping that Nilfred's post had born some fruit on the wifi drivers...
Any ideas of how close you think the driver port is?

The JFFS issue was ~ SOLVED ~ by flashing a JFFS root version of openwrt, letting 1st boot fix the JFFS area, then re flashing to squashfs image.
(maybe more robust 1st boot JFFS routines could avoid/fix this ?)

Decided to try r20389 trunk image from x-wrt site to see how that was coming.

WAN works so far with dhcp.  Serve dhcp on LAN ok.
No crashes with wired only config yet.
No Wifi drivers (of course)
Installed many packages... left room for that driver IPK  wink

So far so good.

I Just need to tone down resource usages on bandwidthd (25-100% cpu & 22% mem usages)

Any known issues I should be looking/testing for?

Thanks  big_smile

(Last edited by jammers on 27 Mar 2010, 03:28)

About WNR854T wireless:
I now remember that Nilfred posted this, thanks for the reminder.

This should definitely be forwarded to nbd.
Note that he will need one or better several persons with the stock hardware, which are maybe able to compile a special build themselves and "death-defying" dare to flash such a special image.

The risk of bricking your router should not be high, but a serial connection to it is highly recommended.
Request: Can anybody give a link where the serial connection for WNR854T is described?

Just issued a find to see where that mwl8k driver is located:

openwrt@debian5:~/trunk$ find . -name "*mwl8k*"
./build_dir/linux-orion_generic/compat-wireless-2010-03-03/drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.c
./build_dir/linux-orion_generic/linux-2.6.32.10/drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.c
./build_dir/toolchain-arm_v5t_gcc-4.3.3+cs_uClibc-0.9.30.1_eabi/linux-2.6.32.10/drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.c

About WNR854T in general:
No, there are no special issues besides wireless.

Maybe someone on this thread can have a look at the JFFS issue that jammers reported.
Otherwise a bug ticket should be openend for it. A reproduction manual would be great for the OpenWrt team.

Unfortunately I do not know who from the OpenWrt team owns a WNR854T.
I just know that nbd owns a WRT350Nv2 as I donated it. Maybe a search on the forum could reveal such an OpenWrt team member.
On Amazon.de a used WNR854T is available for 39 EUR + 5 EUR shipping (.de because nbd lives in Germany)

(Last edited by maddes.b on 27 Mar 2010, 15:55)

@maddes:  I had to use the serial connection to restore my 854 from an OLD x-wrt flash.

Used 3.3v USB to TTL.  The WNR854 serial pinouts are HERE

Settings are 115200 / 8 / none / 1  with no flow control

I have never compiled a build root system from scratch, so I may need a little help if that  is needed.

Could we run the test builds from ram instead of flashing?
Even if we need to flash, I'm willing to risk it.
The WIFI drivers are the last hold this device from being truly usable as intended !

Cheers  big_smile