OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Turn on/off WiFi on fixed schedule?

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Is there a firmware hack for the WRT54GS that will turn WiFi on and off independent of the 10/100bT, according to a predetermined schedule?

I spend way too much time on the 'net, perhaps I'm suffering from borderline internet-addiction, but I still need occasional 'net access for my banking and schooling. My Linksys router is stashed upstairs with my landlord (whose 'net connection I share) so I don't have convenient physical access to it. I'd like for the 10/100bT connection to remain active while the WiFi is disabled, since my landlord's PC is connected via 10/100bT and I use the WiFi. That would restrict the time I waste on the net, especially since I don't have a landline for dialup access.

I haven't hacked OpenWRT or its equivalents before but might be willing to try if this is easy to do -- i.e. through existing packages, cron jobs or shell scripting. I am not up to the task of kernel hacking or writing a new package.

do you tried cron ?
exec wifi up/down via cron (before hopefully you set time with rdate/ntpclient
HTH

The discussion might have continued from here.