The how-to shows how to setup OpenVPN on Asus WL-500G Premium (Kamikaze 7.09) configured as LAN client (no WAN and WiFi disabled).

This guide shows how to setup an internet gateway being accessible from outside of your LAN (via ADSL Router) to "tunnelize" all the client traffic via remote internet connection.

The pourpose of this solution is aimed to "roadwarriors" to bypass certain restrictions applied by the client carrier (example: mobile connectivity behind a proxy/nat; or a "hotel" connection opened to only web traffic; etc.) using a tunnel built on a "almost sure" open route (in the example: port 443/TCP used by the HTTPS service).

The guide is specific for certain hardware (Asus WL-500G Premium as server and, Windows Mobile 6 device as client, Mobile Carrier with proxy connectivity) but it may be adjusted to suit different necessities. It also uses a phisical "bridge" b/w the router ethernet switch and the virtual tap0 OpenVPN device, a different (more complicate, but also more versatile) would be to manage with routing tables to obtain the same result separating the two network (routing the whole traffic via internet wouldn't been the best solution in certain situations). It is even possible to adapt it to WLAN usage or WAN routing, but i prefeer to have a dedicated device for this pourpose (the traffic over the tunnel may keep some big CPU cycles if you use HSDPA).

This solution does not only route the traffic outside, it gave also the possibility to access to your LAN remotely (basic OpenVPN configuration).

The guide is not yet completed (the client part will be added asap), and it may contains some errors (i wrote it by memory, since i have no time to replicate it step by step atm), if you spot (small or big) mistakes please let me know so i will correct em. It also lacks of images (i'm lazy).

The guide is available here: http://arctic-things.blogspot.com/2008/ … rt-on.html

@Moderators: if i need to copy/past it here because an external link is not allowed, please lemme know.

(Last edited by ARCTiC on 17 Jan 2008, 21:45)