OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Atheros AR7100

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Mar 2018 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

ea_umea wrote:

Ok, made some more testing and got the WAN-port to get an IP from DHCP server by putting it behind another router that has gigabit support on the LAN ports.. Seems that the link always is set to 1000Mbps/Full duplex and that is why it did not work for me when i kept the WAN port connected as I have it with D-Link firmware directly to the network socket in the wall(100Mbps). Is there an easy way to change the link speed to 100Mbps in code and build new image or can it be changed by some other tool that can be built into image? (tried mii-tool and ethtool, non worked...)

Finally, can it be related to this somehow?
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 260#p98260

Updated from SVN and now WAN works as expected.

ea_umea wrote:
ea_umea wrote:

Ok, made some more testing and got the WAN-port to get an IP from DHCP server by putting it behind another router that has gigabit support on the LAN ports.. Seems that the link always is set to 1000Mbps/Full duplex and that is why it did not work for me when i kept the WAN port connected as I have it with D-Link firmware directly to the network socket in the wall(100Mbps). Is there an easy way to change the link speed to 100Mbps in code and build new image or can it be changed by some other tool that can be built into image? (tried mii-tool and ethtool, non worked...)

yes, it's true, 100/1000M

ValXdater wrote:
ea_umea wrote:
ea_umea wrote:

yes, it's true, 100/1000M

Have you confirmed that both bands and wireless-N work for the 825 with your patch?  I'd like to switch to this firmware since the D-Link is giving me some issues.

EDIT:

Looking at an earlier post you made, it seems you have both bands working, and possibly wireless-N since some output shows you using the ath9k driver and the two PHYs (one with 2 bands and another with 1 band).  But can you confirm still?  I want to make certain before I go through with the mod.

(Last edited by tbiron on 21 Dec 2009, 14:47)

wlan configuration is little different: one 5G only and one 2.4G only PHY, dual band detection has been fixed in r18537

b/g/a mode is ok, but in ap N mode hostapd can't detect client HT capabilities, AP mode with original firmware + ath9k client works better (80/90 mbps @ 5G, rate 140M in dlink web status page) edit: configuration error - disabled wme

tbiron wrote:

Have you confirmed that both bands and wireless-N work for the 825 with your patch?  I'd like to switch to this firmware since the D-Link is giving me some issues.

EDIT:

Looking at an earlier post you made, it seems you have both bands working, and possibly wireless-N since some output shows you using the ath9k driver and the two PHYs (one with 2 bands and another with 1 band).  But can you confirm still?  I want to make certain before I go through with the mod.

(Last edited by ValXdater on 14 Jan 2010, 04:53)

Another thing that's a bit buggy is the Atheros way of enforcing Regdomains. The EEPROM of my DIR-825's radio cards report them as being in the US regdomain. So when I use an unpatched Atheros driver I don't get all the channels I am supposed to get here in Germany (regdomain DE). However I do get some additional channels in the 5GHz Band which I shouldn't have because they may not be used over here. When I select "Force Atheros drivers to respect the user's regdomain settings" in menuconfig for kmod-ath hostapd tells me that the hardware doesn't support the channel I chose (that can be any channel). iw list shows all the channels as being active, iw reg get shows DE, and ifconfig wlan1 channel 40 works like a charm. Only hostapd can't bring the interface up. I hope to come back to you with some debugging output but right now there is christmas going on smile

So Merry Christmas to all of you!
ValXdater, I owe you a beer.

ValXdater: thanks for your work bringing us OpenWrt on this router!  Much appreciated.

I flashed mine a week or two ago and it's far better than the stock firmware!  I am a little confused about the storage space on it, though.  From df:

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 1280      1280         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    31012      1024     29988   3% /tmp
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4            3968      3552       416  90% /jffs
mini_fo:/jffs             1280      1280         0 100% /

My understanding is that /tmp is using RAM (we've got plenty!) and I think / is just merging /rom and /jffs.  That brings us to 5248K of flash accounted for.  Truly and odd number.  Wouldn't it normally be 4meg or 8meg?  And if it's 8, what happened to the rest?

mactalla wrote:

That brings us to 5248K of flash accounted for.  Truly and odd number.  Wouldn't it normally be 4meg or 8meg?  And if it's 8, what happened to the rest?

Yes, this is serius question. Kernel+rootfs size is limited by location of calibration data @ 0x661000, 0x665000 = block @ offset 0x660000.

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/t … r-825-b1.c

Flash start to caldata - 102x 64K blocks = 6684672 bytes
- 256K bootloader = 6422528 bytes
- 64K nvram (from orig. firmware) = 6356992 bytes
- 1024K kernel ("hardcoded" size) = 5308416 bytes

I have no idea why, at end of the flash are redboot partitions (128K):

mtd3: 0000f000 0000f000 "FIS directory"
mtd4: 00001000 00001000 "RedBoot config"
mtd5: 00010000 00010000 "boardconfig"

Before FIS and after caldata is >MAYBE< 1507328 bytes (1472 KB) free space. Calibration data (+ plain text mac adresses) can't be overwritten and "relocation" is big problem.

(Last edited by ValXdater on 7 Jan 2010, 02:36)

I see.  Thanks for the info.  Best not to step on any toes if there's data that might be important in those regions.  There's always a USB key if I need more space smile

Sry for the n00b question but after running dd-wrt without the expected performance i wanted to try out openwrt but as said before since i'm a n00b on this i was hoping it would have a GUI.

Is that the case in snapshots, are that full images?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

bl@d3runn3r wrote:

Sry for the n00b question but after running dd-wrt without the expected performance i wanted to try out openwrt but as said before since i'm a n00b on this i was hoping it would have a GUI.

Is that the case in snapshots, are that full images?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

I think that would depend on your model router and most likely the size of flash available.

My D-Link DIR-615C1 has less than 4MB flash and Luci UI is incomplete in the trunk; however, it is easily installed via the Internet through it's OPKG Update from it's preinstalled config file that allows packages to be installed through:
(First d/l f/w snapshot to local PC folder to browse to, disconnect WAN/LAN except for PC on LAN, 30-30-30 second hard reset, flash, wait at least 5 minutes after successful flash indication, cycle power, 30-30-30 second hard reset, then power down router and modem, reconnect WAN, then power up modem first & set PC to obtain IP automatically in subnet 255.255.255.0 with gateway 192.168.1.1, when router powers up, it should/needs to have an INTERNET connection for next steps)
TELNET 192.168.1.1 via Windows Command Prompt.
OPKG Update will access the web for package d/l lists and
OPKG install <package name> (do not use the < and >) will install missing packages.
Enter OPKG help (for more info/options).

I have to OPKG Install Luci-admin-full and I prefer to OPKG install Luci-app-qos. Then I check the IP for WEBUI access, if not accessible, for some reason sometimes I have to add Luci-fastindex but I don't add it unless necessary.

Here's a list of my Luci packages that are currently installed (most were part of the snapshot): check for completeness with: OPKG list_installed | grep luci (search installed luci packages and complete list below with OPKG install where, if needed)
luci-admin-core
luci-admin-full
luci-app-firewall (optional but needed for configuration)
luci-app-qos (optional but may need for prioritising WAN traffic)
luci-cbi
luci-core
luci-http
luci-i18n-english
luci-ipkg
luci-lmo
luci-lucid
luci-nixio
luci-px5g
luci-sgi-cgi
luci-sys
luci-theme-base
luci-theme-openwrt
luci-uci
luci-uvl
luci-web (Note: may need Luci-fastindex also)

The TELNET works faster for install of packages and there's also the option to use OPKG install <package name> --noaction (to see if enough room is available. You can also use OPKG List | grep <package xheader>  or search parameter to narrow search for packages and brief description is there too).

Don't forget to 30-30-30 second hard reset before and after flash. The newer trunks have an easy flash within Luci to upgrade f/w.

Even though the trunk snapshots are considered not yet stable, mine works well for wired-ETHERNET; wireless N is whole different issue and may be primary reason for their status. Check the forums for a WIP thread on your model to see if there are any issues are or pre-built f/w posted for sharing.

Sorry for lengthy post, but I thought you might need more clues since you're new to OpenWrt; I had to glean through several pages of multiple threads and ask noob questions myself before I was on track. Which wasn't that long ago! I also tried to answer all your "what now ?" questions.

@armchair
In my case it would be the d-link dir-825.

bl@d3runn3r wrote:

@armchair
In my case it would be the d-link dir-825.

Sorry, don't have first hand knowledge. My guess would be no since those files are smaller than my DIR-615C1. May need more files to complete Luci but you may want to search/ask for some more specifics to your application (wired, wireless or both) or wait for a better answer.

Good Luck!

Hi,

vincentfox wrote:

[...]I cut open a Nokia-clone CA-42 I got of EBay and found it to be Nokia DKU-5-B.  I cut the cables short less than 18 inches and installed PL2303 drivers and boom it WORKED.   Maybe this would work if I shortened the FTDI cable also but I didn't want to cut it.

I have a DIR-825 and a Nokia-Clone CA-42 cable; I have already cut open the cable and found the 3 wires (tx, tx, ground). Where do you hooked/connected/soldered those wires inside the DIR-825 to get the serial console to work?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Cheers,
--
   Durval

Please can someone told me where are saved passwords on mikrotik RB433??
older version have user.dat in /mnt/nova/store
and RB433 where??

Please help me, thanks and sorry if someone post it this before
smile

hehol wrote:

I've got a D-Link DIR-825 which uses an Atheros AR7100 platform (AR7161). I can see output on the serial console, but the input does not work (not even in the U-Boot boot loader). According to D-Link, the pinout is

PIN1-->3.3V 
PIN2-->RX 
PIN3-->TX 
PIN4-->GND

Has anyone gotten their hands on the DIR-825 with a fully working console? I searched the forum and found a few boot logs of AR7100 devices. All the devices show

console [early0] enabled

but the D-Link doesn't. Does this mean that the console has been disabled?

For those interested, this is the full boot log:

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Mar 13 2009 - 19:47:38)

AP94 (ar7100) U-boot 0.0.12
HTTP-UID AP94: DRAM:  b8050000: 0xc0140180
64 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 84000000
Reserving 214k for U-Boot at: 83fc8000
Reserving 192k for malloc() at: 83f98000
Reserving 44 Bytes for Board Info at: 83f97fd4
Reserving 36 Bytes for Global Data at: 83f97fb0
Reserving 128k for boot params() at: 83f77fb0
Stack Pointer at: 83f77f98
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 83fc8000
ar7100 flash_init: start
ar7100_spi_flash_unblock: start
ar7100_flash: id read: start
flash size 8MB, sector count = 128
Flash:  8 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   eth_initialize: ag7100_enet_initialize
rtl8366sr_phy_setup  ethUnit=0
ar7100.c: eth0 using default MAC: 00:24:01:66:11:c3
eth0 up
ar7100.c: eth1 using default MAC: 00:24:01:66:11:c4
eth1 up
eth0, eth1
### main_loop entered: bootdelay=1

### main_loop: bootcmd="bootm 0xbf050000"
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  1  0 
### main_loop: no key string, allow autoboot
### main_loop: abortboot
## Booting image at bf050000 ...
checksum:389ce7ea
   Image Name:   Linux Kernel Image
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma  compressed)
   Data Size:    1034995 Bytes = 1010.7 kB
   Load Address: 80002000
   Entry Point:  802e8000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   LZMA Umcompressing Kernel Image ...    Image loaded from 80002000-8030b086
 OK
   Boot image os 5=IH_OS_LINUX
## do_bootm_linux start....
No initrd
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 802e8000) ...
## Giving linux memsize in bytes, 67108864

Starting kernel ...

Linux version 2.6.15--LSDK-7.2.0.156 (root@localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 3.4.4) #319 Mon Mar 9 16:07:59 CST 2009

setup_arch:

write radvd_conf_cmd finished

please look this

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 83#p110983

help me

Hi,

was anyone able to use SD card on RB433AH (atheros71xx). I'm using Backfire rc4 and I have installed mmc-spi driver. It seems that SPI bus is shared on RB433AH, and mmc-spi driver does not support sharing of SPI bus? Is there any other option for enabling SD card on ar71xx architecture using openWRT?

Please help...

The discussion might have continued from here.