OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Any suggestions as to how I can bridge RS232 via WiFi?

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place and for being fairly ignorant about this subject. I have a problem to solve and am after some help in resolving it quickly.

I am working on an ultrasound telemetry project and am looking for a way to get I2C or RS232 data transmitted wirelessly. I have seen a pair of radios that take I2C in at one end and put out to USB at the other however these are quite expensive.

I have used terminal servers before which could be set up such that a reverse telnet or raw connection is made so any data received on the RS232 port is automatically (without any commands etc coming in on the port) sent out via TCP/IP. Ideally I would like that to go via Wifi

Scouting around it looks like I might be able to do just that by modifying an old Linksys WRT54GS (or similar) router to add one or two RS232 ports and upgrade the firmware. Am I right? Can it be used for raw data transfer - seems like it might as people have mentioned GPS connections.

I have worked with Unix and Xenix in a former life but have not done much with Linux yet - I am assuming that won't be a barrier!!

Haven't got my head around Kamikaze or White Russian. Do I need to? Could someone easily say which would be better for my needs?

Thanks for reading this far and for any help that might ensue.

Clive

Get a router with RS232 such as a mikrotik routerboard 133 or Asus WL500GP with USB->232 cable and install the kamikaze and the ser2net package.

While those might help getting RS232 to a PC or bluetooth enabled device, I think the original post wants to bridge RS232 over TCP/IP using 802.11

The discussion might have continued from here.