OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: 'Availability' Column for TableOfHardware?

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Would anybody object to an 'Availability' column for TableOfHardware?  I'm looking for new gear, and finding lots of the stuff I'm looking at is discontinued.

I agree that such a column would be useful, but it would have to be much more than a simple "Yes/No" checkbox. For example, it would need to be able to contain such notes as "Discontinued, but often available on eBay."

Good idea.  It would probably be easiest for each person to add what he knows to be true, so one person could add 'Discontinued 2006-11' and somebody else could add 'available on eBay' as both are useful bits of information atomically, though even better together.

Since yesterday I also found that it would be really helpful to have a spectrum column for a/b/g/n.  Sometimes this is tucked in to a model column, often I have to read through details.  Finding a current Kamikaze 802.11a radio is currently a hard exercise and this would help quite a bit.

cheers great idea considering i've been trying to help a friend get an openwrt compatible router... its not fun/easy one of the best bets is like a Wrt54GL but i hate its 1/2 memories compared to the first G's and GS's though searching newegg for "open router" brought some interesting results

I think it would be great to have the TOH in a queryable database, so one could find a model for one's needs much more easily (e.g. must have usb and miniPCI and RAM > 16, or 11n and supported in kamikaze).
Then it would also possible to add routers which will never be supported (e.g. because of too less ram, or not based on linux and no support for the platform) to the database without cluttering it (and that might help to answer some "does this router run openwrt" questions).

The Wiki is a big, big mess. I think no one cares about it...

forum2008 wrote:

Agree with that. Same with the forum mods. Wild posting is allowed etc.

forum2008 wrote:

I care about it, and have slowly worked through some of the mess.  The problem is they've got the timeout on execution set so low it's next to impossible to access some of the more useful pages.  Anyone know who the admin is, and why they've let it languish?  I know they were talking about upgrading it some time ago, but that seems to have come and gone...

forum2008 wrote:

OK, so where else do you go to find compatible routers?

The discussion might have continued from here.