OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Where can I find a developer to customize the firmware

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I would like to find someone that can customize the firmware of the linksys routers, any thoughts.

I don't have the time or the knowhow to do it.

Well in general....
You can buy complete customized routers from several websites for $600USD and up. Is that really what you want to do? I suppose that you might find someone here to ship the router to and have them load the firmware. But you still may find Open-wrt to complex for you as modifications require a computer with SSH software capabilities. In general, Windows doesn't offer that, which implies you having another Linux machine available for configuration.  There is a program called PuTTY which will adapt Windows to SSH.

If so, you might prefer DD-Wrt, Tomato firmware, or Oleg's WL500 firmware as the user interface is menu driven and doesn't require connecting at the command line with SSH. (it uses the HTM screens in your browser).  Wikipedia has a listing of all the varieties under the Open-Wrt's entry.

Much depends on the actual memory capacity of your unit as Linksys manufactured some of that model with smaller firmware memory. I suspect DD-wrt is able to provide software for the smaller unit and other's may not.

Since these are ALL based on a GNU public license, it appears that you can get any of the files for free and install yourself.  I just installed Oleg's on an Asus and it wasn't a  big job.  Next I am going to change over to Open-Wrt. 

As you can see, Linux is very much about experimenting and learning computing in greater depth than Windows.  If you keep an open mind, it will really provide a whole new world to you.

Of course over 90% of the computing world just wants something other than Linux or Unix and use the perjorative sense of the term geekish to describe Linux.

The discussion might have continued from here.