OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WL500Gp (version 1) versus WL500Gp V2 - proper identification

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm in Taiwan.  I just purchased what appears to be the preferred WL500Gp (version 1) just to get started with OpenWrt.

Logically, Asus didn't include V1 in the label as they didn't anticipate there would ever be a V2.

I have researching visual identification and there is some indication that I must open the box and void the warranty in order to confirm I have the right Wifi chip. 

On the other hand, I have had some indication that the V2 has BOTH a different box layout and that by merely reading the additional V2 of the FCC label or its absence, I can confirm which I have.

The V2 boxes I've seen have a diagonal venting rather on top rather than the rectangular array of holes with Asus in the center.

My FCC label reads 'FCC ID MSQWL500GP' , but I have seen 'FCC ID MSQWL500GPV2' lables by Googling 'WL500gpv2 image'.

The backsides appear to be different as well. Looking at the back of the unit, I have a red button, two USB ports [over and under] and a black button.  This seems to indicate a V1.  On the V2, the buttons are to the left of WAN port.  V2 appears to have the antenna on the left while V1 appears to have it on the right.

At this point, I'd rather not open the box and move on with loading new firmware.  So, did I get this right? Or must I really open the box to find out?

I have happily resolved that I indeed have a V1.  If you see the package in a retail outlet, it will merely be labled WL500 Premium without any indication of version.  If you see Version 2 in the package, that is clearly labled on the front of the package.

Version one package shows the antenna of the left side in the picture on the package.  While version two shows the antenna on the right side in the picture on its package.

The discussion might have continued from here.