OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [request] Wrtu54g-tm - [56k No No]

The content of this topic has been archived between 2 May 2018 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

neutronscott wrote:

I've done a bunch of stuff but that one you flashed just added SSH daemon and two small utilities (one for magicjack, one for tethering a blackberry). The old kernel and wifi driver kinda limits us a bit ... What you need done?

@gopalmm2 -- Taking a bit longer than I should, I know... I started messing with my own vanilla firmware again ugh. But!! It should be done tomorrow. Way I see it, in client-mode non of the T-Mobile web conf is useful, so I was starting with a fresh rootfs as before, and trying to merge a read-only filesystem with a jffs2 one, like openwrt does...

neutronscott, I was simply curious of what was done. I'm really new to these routers and wasn't sure of what else was put in. Not really familliar with anything beyong the vanilla dd-wrt installations. smile

neutronscott wrote:

I've done a bunch of stuff but that one you flashed just added SSH daemon and two small utilities (one for magicjack, one for tethering a blackberry). The old kernel and wifi driver kinda limits us a bit ... What you need done?

@gopalmm2 -- Taking a bit longer than I should, I know... I started messing with my own vanilla firmware again ugh. But!! It should be done tomorrow. Way I see it, in client-mode non of the T-Mobile web conf is useful, so I was starting with a fresh rootfs as before, and trying to merge a read-only filesystem with a jffs2 one, like openwrt does...

Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble.. Take your time; I know it's kinda unreasonable for me to ask tongue

Finally mini_fo wants to behave. Applied some OpenWRT patches from the brcm-2.4 branch. Had to go back a few months. They removed the brcm-2.4 branch recently... But I'm gonna give it a burn-in test for a bit to make sure it's not going to break and leave ya without access like a previous image I released -- ended up sending someone my spare serial cable to fix it tongue

It's lean and mean. Simply boots up and jumps on an open wifi, dishes out 192.168.2.x IPs and does NAT. Anything else needs to be configured, via shell scripts. The storage is persistent tho, and the wiki will be updated with common configurations..

I've done a lots of good work on the wiki. I'm unsure how well my work is on the firmware though. wink heh j/k.

For those interested, the firmware is here:
http://wiki.scottn.us/wrtu54g-tm:firmware

Client mode was unreliable for me as well using the opensource rt2x00 legacy drivers latest CVS release! So the wifi client mode uses Ralink's official source. It works very well, just uses old school iwpriv calls a lot. It's kinda it's own thing, rather than integrating into the available kernel wireless tools so much. It's nice tho. The firmware is OpenWRT-like, and could probably be completely OpenWRT with little efforts, I just don't understand their enormous build system!! Sorry..

flashed to the latest firmware you posted on your wiki neutronscott. Oddly, it forced my ip address to 192.168.2.1 and i'm unable to access the web panel. ssh is just fine though.

uhm...  there is no web panel. it's more for advanced users tongue IP would be changed in /etc/dnsmasq.conf and /etc/init.d/S20network ...

edit: if you'd like to keep this thread clean,please feel free to emaiil me, my username at the domain of scottn.us. i'll update wiki with any answers and get back to you asap ...

(Last edited by neutronscott on 11 Sep 2010, 03:46)

ah sorry, its the n00b in me. Do you think its possible to control most of the features using X-wrt frontend?

@neutronscott

Thanks a lot!! Will try it out big_smile

just flashed build 44. I'm a little more lost than your previous builds. Nano is gone so i used vi instead. This time around the files you said to edit look drastically different. Not sure if the same procedure in the wiki firmware page is the same for this build.

Also, it says that the new build has a limited web panel. How can i access it? The default root/password is not working for the web panel.

u/p is admin/admin

Change IP is in /etc/rc.conf

Hi guys, I confirm this works nicely.

User/password for web interface is changeable in /etc/httpd.conf.

I'm working on a new (simple) web interface for this firmware. Would be could if something like, say X-WRT (and the full openwrt of course) worked on the device.

OpenWRT with Linux kernel 2.6.35.7 is built. This uses much more flexible and standard wifi modules. Hope this is a great help for anyone. Of course, one big plus of this router is it's inclusion of USB (via hardware modification) at such a low price! I regret that USB is not included. Maybe some day...

http://wiki.scottn.us/wrtu54g-tm:openwrt

Greetings, I have a router wrtu54g-tm, I can connected wireless and lan ports, but is blocked to access the control panel.
Only shows the next panel after setting IP:192.168.2.1
Showing the following:

Welcome to neutronscott tight. All settings are changed elsewhere

settings: here

Results for Settings

neutronscott tight (20100912 build 44)
So far this is only useful for changing IP and DHCP since going to station mode will require changing SSID and Encryption. Tho, by default, it _should_ connect to any open wireless, if that's what you're shooting for...

I am looking for someone to make a nice html for me. I suck at it. Need tabs and dropdown for encryption type, etc...
AP Mode:
Station Mode:
IP:
DHCP RANGE: to

What should I do to unlock access to the control panel?

Thanks

Lesatel wrote:

Greetings, I have a router wrtu54g-tm, I can connected wireless and lan ports, but is blocked to access the control panel.

Thanks

That is old firmware before I integrated my changes into OpenWRT. It is ... worthless. I will remove it, sorry. Tho before you downloaded it, you may have read:
"this is for advanced users, or users that wish to learn linux, and are able to setup their system using shell commands and scripts"

OpenWRT itself is without a webpanel by default. One must be added. X-WRT works, mostly. With backfire build, it is unable to control wireless tho. With the development build, it uses more standard wireless driver, but as I found out yesterday it sucks donkey dick. So unfortunately, this all is still a work in progress and not ready for general end-user consumption I guess.

I would recommend using Linksys firmware still unless you have a need to customize. Then, you will need to learn how to customize your settings via command prompt, or install OpenWRT backfire at URL of my last post, then X-WRT package (probably a guide for this somewhere), then still yet edit the wireless AP settings in /etc/wireless/rt61ap.dat

I simply don't have the experience with X-WRT. I am busy and now frustrated with my efforts, since now it seems impractical to run the newer 2.6 kernels if the wireless driver has such poor performance as I have just found.

So I may put some efforts in backporting my latest changes to the backfire build, and eventually include the X-WRT package with it.

As for now, I would suggest reverting to Linksys firmware if you want web configuration of your wireless settings.

http://wiki.scottn.us/wrtu54g-tm:firmwa … to_offical

Sorry if I come across harsh. I am just pissy that all the work seems wasted now... Maybe eventually somehow the wireless will begin to work better.

neutronscott wrote:
Lesatel wrote:

Thanks

That is old firmware before I integrated my changes into OpenWRT. It is ... worthless. I will remove it, sorry. Tho before you downloaded it, you may have read:
"this is for advanced users, or users that wish to learn linux, and are able to setup their system using shell commands and scripts"

OpenWRT itself is without a webpanel by default. One must be added. X-WRT works, mostly. With backfire build, it is unable to control wireless tho. With the development build, it uses more standard wireless driver, but as I found out yesterday it sucks donkey dick. So unfortunately, this all is still a work in progress and not ready for general end-user consumption I guess.

I would recommend using Linksys firmware still unless you have a need to customize. Then, you will need to learn how to customize your settings via command prompt, or install OpenWRT backfire at URL of my last post, then X-WRT package (probably a guide for this somewhere), then still yet edit the wireless AP settings in /etc/wireless/rt61ap.dat

I simply don't have the experience with X-WRT. I am busy and now frustrated with my efforts, since now it seems impractical to run the newer 2.6 kernels if the wireless driver has such poor performance as I have just found.

So I may put some efforts in backporting my latest changes to the backfire build, and eventually include the X-WRT package with it.

As for now, I would suggest reverting to Linksys firmware if you want web configuration of your wireless settings.

http://wiki.scottn.us/wrtu54g-tm:firmwa … to_offical

Sorry if I come across harsh. I am just pissy that all the work seems wasted now... Maybe eventually somehow the wireless will begin to work better.

neutronscott, Thanks for Reply, I'm sorry for my English is not good, I'm Latin.

I tried to re-enter the firmware, supported cmd, insert command: tftp-i 192.168.0.1 c:\code.bin ,  and displays a timeout error waiting, pinging the ip 192.168.01: shows correct information, but not the why not allow the tftp connection, in windows I have enabled the TFTP option, Any ideas?, Thanks for your feedback

(Last edited by Lesatel on 20 Oct 2010, 18:59)

Lesatel wrote:

neutronscott, Thanks for Reply, I'm sorry for my English is not good, I'm Latin.

I tried to re-enter the firmware, supported cmd, insert command: tftp-i 192.168.0.1 c:\code.bin ,  and displays a timeout error waiting, pinging the ip 192.168.01: shows correct information, but not the why not allow the tftp connection, in windows I have enabled the TFTP option, Any ideas?, Thanks for your feedback

You are trying to TFTP from your router to PC? I always used wget and had my router behind a working one...  Seems the error is with your TFTP server tho, if ping works.  TFTP option in windows?  I use tftpd32, freeware.

neutronscott wrote:
Lesatel wrote:

You are trying to TFTP from your router to PC? I always used wget and had my router behind a working one...  Seems the error is with your TFTP server tho, if ping works.  TFTP option in windows?  I use tftpd32, freeware.

Greetings, I tried with several tftp, without success, my router works with your basic firmware (neutronscott tight (20100912 build 44), but I could not turn up the Original firmware, you could help me through some remote support program? I think it's the only way to understand what is happening, thanks

many thanks to neutronscott for all of the hard work to get this going.

I flashed the x-wrt binary. I couldn't get my pc to recognize the router's connection until i set my pc nic to the lowest 10mb connection. Otherwise, it shows up as if i am not even physically connected to the router. While i can connect to the router on the lowest setting, I can't ping to anything on the internet.

neutronscott, thanks for all the great work on this!

here's what I'm trying to do: send WOL packets through the router to my LAN. Normally this works, but not if the WRTU54G router has been power cycled (the mac address of the destination host is not remembered, even if it has a static DHCP lease)  :-)

if I could ssh into the router from the WAN (port forwarded), could I run a script to send the FF:FF... magic WOL packet to the LAN device of my choice?  that would be fantastic!

thanks!!
Spi

The discussion might have continued from here.