OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wl500g + GPS + Lightning detector

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Recently for school ive been building a Lightning Detector, which detects the strikes and refines it into a pulse which can drive a LED and send out pluses etc, I also have a WL500g which i got for my Node in the Melbourne Wireless network, this has USB and runs openwrt (White Russian RC5), I also have a GPS that has serial and USB, (the WL500g will need to run the USB to UART software which i have found drivers for).

Now, if i have a USB hub in the box up the mast as well, i can hook up the GPS and a USB to Serial converter which will be attached to the lightning detector, then il need to run software that logs the exact time (from the virtual serial port) of the lightning strike (the pulse on the serial line). So i need a program to extract the Time from the NMEA data and log it when a pulse comes down from the detector.

Is this possible on the Wl500g (i have a 1gb usb stick in there), any suggestions? what software should i use to do this?

thanks

i did a gps plugin for lcd4linux some time ago and i used libnmeap, which is quite straightforward..

The discussion might have continued from here.