OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DNS server on openWrt router

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi Everyone,

I've got a Belkin F5D8230-4 v1000, which has the broadcom 4704 processor and airgo card. I've got openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx on it and ssh is up and running. The webif worked for a bit, but I don't care so much about that, as ssh and cli is my friend.

I wish to use an openWrt router as a linux server... to serve DNS queries from the WAN through a(nother) router to this openWrt box. The ISP for my website isn't the greatest and if we are one of the two primary DNS servers, we'll have actual redundancy.

Could anyone point me towards examples or how-tos? I've read and searched all over and I've been at it so long, I bet I had the answers in the first weeks of my learning but forgot now! :-) and now I'm getting a bit stumped on what to do...

I have done:
Set a static IP address 192.168.1.199 and netmask via the webif.
Have good ssh to said address with the WAN port of the router plugged into my router.

Currently, I broke the webif, but it might just need restarting ... I can't find where I saw how to do that, so I would appreciate to know either some steps to get it working and/or/more preferably, how to configure the IP address and various other settings via ssh.

To summarize, I would dearly appreciate some help with:
- setting the static WAN IP via cli ?
- would it be better for me to use one of the 4 LAN ports? (if so, how to set the IP...)
- how to remove unneeded packages from the filesystem? (it's ok to tell me to reflash with something else)

Thanks!!
Chris

ipkg remove <packagename>

For your other question about the static ip using cli commands I can't help.
Btw is cli not for kamikaze?

For a dns server I would recommened taking a look at the dnsmasq config. It isn't a real dns server but it caches queries so if you ask the same host again the query isn't passed through to the dns server.

unexpectedly wrote:

I've got a Belkin F5D8230-4 v1000, which has the broadcom 4704 processor and airgo card. I've got openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx on it and ssh is up and running.

is the airgo card working good with openwrt?

id like to flash my belkin.

can you point me in the right direction?

The discussion might have continued from here.