OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: what image to upslug2 (NSLU2)

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I just got myself a NSLU2, and I would like to unstall openwrt on it.

Based on the information needed here http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ksys/NSLU2, I need an image called "openwrt-nslu2-2.6-squashfs.bin".

However, I do not see this image on the download-area.
- There is a "openwrt-nslu2-2.6.zImage" (which seams to be a "compressed kernel-image") but that is no "squashfs" file.
- There is a "openwrt-ixp4xx-2.6-squashfs.img", but that file is called "ixp4xx", not "nslu2".

I did try searching the web and the different howto's, but I did not find a full "for sure" answer.

So, before I brick the box, exactly what image do I need to upload (using "upslug2").

Or do I need both of them (hence, use both the "-i" and "-k" options?)

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

When you build trunk by yourself there will be a image named openwrt-nslu2-squashfs.bin. That's the right one. The Wiki maybe outdated...

(Last edited by Yanira on 31 Oct 2008, 14:21)

Hi Yarina,

That was fast!!!! :-)

You mean I need to create an image myself? Is there not an image I can download somewhere to get started?

BTW. I tried "slugimage -u -i openwrt-ixp4xx-2.6-squashfs.img" to try to extract the ramdisk and FS from the other file, but I get an error: "substr outside of string at /usr/bin/slugimage line 301."

Looks there is a bug in the "slugimage" tool for ubuntu (8.10).

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

There are also an image available at slug-firmware.net based on OpenWrt 7.09.  I'd used it a few months ago and it worked well.

Hi Superkaybee,

Yes. You are correct. I'm now also using one of their images and it does work OK now. Thanks!

(Perhaps something to be added/changed in the wiki?)

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

The discussion might have continued from here.