OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build environment for package maintainers

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi [mbm] and anybody else would made OpenWRT already that nice,

I was just about to create a mobilemesh package (http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_transfer/mobilemesh/) for b4-pre. However, mobilemesh is c++ and therefore needs gcc++ as well as the libstdc++. Whereas I (a "dump" developer) am able to compile and package mobilemesh, I am, however, not able to compile the gcc++ and libstdc++ .  Unfortunately  :oops: 
I tried to compile gcc++ and the libstdc++ by setting "INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP:=true" in the Makefile, but this did not work, since this statement seemed to be ignored by the make process. Anyway..

Even if I could compile it, I would then probably include the libstdc++ within the mobilemesh-package. Other c++ programs will maybe also provide the libs they need within their specific package.

I would like to suggest the following:

The "make" does not only build the openwrt-code.bin and a toolchain for c-programs, but builds a _real_ toolchain with:
* gcc++ and libstdc++
* ncurses
* whatever libs are also needed quite frequently

The libs in this toolchain (or a buildroot, if you prefer) are then provided in form of packages for the Linksys WRT54G. This way all package maintainers use the same version of a library and do only have to make their specific library make depend on that provided lib.

Just a suggestion, but I think, such a automatically built  environment for package maintainers would certainly speed up the package developement.

g++ and libstdc++ can be enabled by changing INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP in the buildroot Makefile. Please set it before you compile the toolchain or otherwise do a make clean.

If you really want to get the jump on package development, take a look at the openzaurus project's buildroot system: http://openzaurus.sourceforge.net/snaps … ed.tar.bz2

The openzaurus buildroot has a nice frontend (hint: make menuconfig) which allows you to create an entire toolchain and several packages; with some modifications it may be possible to use that to build some openwrt packages.

g++ and libstdc++ can be enabled by changing INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP in the buildroot Makefile. Please set it before you compile the toolchain or otherwise do a make clean.

Hi mbm,

thanks for the advice. I set INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP after I already compiled the firmware, that's probably why it did not work.

nightingale

Hey there I was wondering if you were able to get this to compile yet?

Mesh

Hi [mbm] and anybody else would made OpenWRT already that nice,

I was just about to create a mobilemesh package (http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_transfer/mobilemesh/) for b4-pre. However, mobilemesh is c++ and therefore needs gcc++ as well as the libstdc++. Whereas I (a "dump" developer) am able to compile and package mobilemesh, I am, however, not able to compile the gcc++ and libstdc++ .  Unfortunately  :oops: 
I tried to compile gcc++ and the libstdc++ by setting "INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP:=true" in the Makefile, but this did not work, since this statement seemed to be ignored by the make process. Anyway..

Even if I could compile it, I would then probably include the libstdc++ within the mobilemesh-package. Other c++ programs will maybe also provide the libs they need within their specific package.

I would like to suggest the following:

The "make" does not only build the openwrt-code.bin and a toolchain for c-programs, but builds a _real_ toolchain with:
* gcc++ and libstdc++
* ncurses
* whatever libs are also needed quite frequently

The libs in this toolchain (or a buildroot, if you prefer) are then provided in form of packages for the Linksys WRT54G. This way all package maintainers use the same version of a library and do only have to make their specific library make depend on that provided lib.

Just a suggestion, but I think, such a automatically built  environment for package maintainers would certainly speed up the package developement.

There are tons of prepackaged libraries for package developpers that you can find here :

http://nthill.free.fr/openwrt/tracker/

Ncurses is available by typing :

make ncurses

and others are available too !

The discussion might have continued from here.